WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Best green businesses to start

Comments

• sdlewissdlewis subscriber Posts: 3
    rossbYou read chet`s post correctly about hemp being illegal in the U.S. and I always thought it was because hemp is a relative to marijuana and marijuana is illegal so guilt by association type thing.I did a quick google search for "the real reason why hemp is illegal" which was very interesting.
  • rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    Steven -Can you summarize for us?R-
  • thrgreendgagonthrgreendgagon subscriber Posts: 0
    Why is everyone grasping at straws when the lifeboat is right next to us and the rescue ship is only yards away?
    We can produce and use hydrogen to power EVERYTHING we curently use fossil fuels for; and do it very easy, cheaply and with NO drain on natural resources and NO inveromental impact!
    Mike
    Mike -No grasping here, just good conversation!  Maybe you can explain how hydrogen power works?  Living in Hawaii certainly gives me reason to want to know more!  What are the costs involved to startup (I know you said earlier $250k but how would that be spent)?Are you talking about a prototype vehicle or a prototype electricity source?R-

Thanks for your reply, Ross
    I`ll try to keep it short.  I`m talking of a modification of an existing electricty source (water column wave power) to then break ocean water down into hydrogen which can power Anything!
    There are two major generation plants now operating, one in Scotland and one in Portugal.  They both only supply the local power grids. 
    Going one setp further, and producing the hydrogen, gives us a source of clean, cheap hydrogen with NO negative impact on our enviorment using an existing, ongoing power source.  The ocean.
    I would appericate yours and anyone elses comments. 
    Mike
    Mike -I`m familiar with the wave generation concept.  Actually a large part of one of the naval bases here in Hawaii (I think Pearl Harbor) is powered by it with plans to make it 100% in the future.In any case, what is involved with adapting the current technology to produce hydrogen power?R-
    Ross,
    Probable, the easiest way for me to explain it would be for you to go to PESWiki.com and click on oscillating water column.
    my desigh has a baffel in the air chamber column to keep the salt air out of the turbine and another column to "pump " salt water to the electrolcise unit.
    Mike
    For anyone else interested here`s a link to the article Mike references:oscillating water columnMike, any reference material for how electricity is converted from hydrogen?Thanks!R-
    Ross,
    one good link is fuelcells.org
    Mike
    Mike -Do you have a business plan put together for this venture yet?R-
    Ross,
    No, not anymore.  About four years ago I submitted my proposal, drawings and the results of the tests of my smallscael prototype to the DEO.  They reviewed it and said it looked promissing but that I would need to build a larger, working protype and "prove" it worked.  Then they would fund a full sized test.  I didn`t have the money to go any farther.  Soon more and more people were looking at hydrogen and I felt someone would take off with it.  Then everything got bogged down with fuel cells in cars and all the media about how hard, expensive and polutting it was going to be to produce hydrogen from "oil or coal"
    I sort of gave up until I saw your web site in a magazine.
    Mike
    Mike -My advice to you is to resurrect your dream.  You have an obvious passion for it and let`s face it, anything "energy" - especially "green energy" - is going to have a place in our future.You see my take on this (personal opinion) is that it doesn`t matter if global warming and everything else is real or not, if there`s a way to create a renewable, inexpensive (long term) and clean source of energy, then its time has come.I encourage you to start here: 10 Steps to Open for BusinessThen jump into the discussions:Protecting Your IdeasBusiness PlanningStartup FundingElevator PitchesIf you believe in it the way it sounds like you do then be persistent, don`t give up, keep pushing forward and Start it Up...You`ll find plenty of encouragement and good information in the StartupNation pages so now what are you waiting for?If you need more than what I`ve linked to here just let me know because there`s plenty more...R-
    Thanks Ross,
    It does consume me more all the time!
    Mike
    Mike -Here`s another forum aimed at helping keep people accountable and moving forward, maybe you visit in and add your to-do`s.  I`m certain people will help keep you on track, especially if you ask them to!!!One Thing I Will Accomplish TodayR-
    hey Steve -You still with us?What`s your take on Wind power?R-