WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Can/Should I run multiple business lines under one LLC?

TeamFourLLCTeamFourLLC subscriber Posts: 2
edited December 2007 in Business Planning
I am the only member of the LLC and have no plans to separate the revenue from the similar businesses. Is it necessary to register DBAs with my state?

Comments

• PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Well, if you`re going to be doing business under a name other than that of either yourself or your LLC, yes, you`ll have to file relevant DBAs.
  • TeamFourLLCTeamFourLLC subscriber Posts: 2
    Piper, thanks. I don`t want to sound dumb, but please define "doing business". I have several website domains that I use for generating revenue. However, all revenue and expenditures are managed by my LLC. The websites may have different titles, but the site states it is owned and operated by the LLC. PayPal and CC transactions show up as billed by the LLC.
    Is this clear as mud? Thanks for any help anyone can give me. The state of Louisiana isn`t very clear on this issue.
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    That should be just fine without filing any DBAs. For instance, if your LLC is ABC LLC, you could have 5 sites with different names as long as they each say somewhere that they`re run by ABC LLC. No need for DBAs.
  • infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    There's no need for additional DBAs. It's like have multiple websites with different domain names selling different stuffs. All could be filed under the same LLC.
  • balogabaloga subscriber Posts: 0
    Creative Bitz
    The short answer is that you could run everything under a single LLC. However, having said that, you would want to keep a separate bank account for each entity to help facilitate tracking revenue and associated costs with each line of business.
    You are going to want to track the profitability of each in order to help your decision making process when it comes to each business. If all of the costs and expenses are "thrown" into one bucket, it makes this type of analysis more difficult. Where possible if there are certain costs that are common to each, e.g., office supplies, etc., try to allocate among the three as best you can.
    Ed Baloga, CPA / MBA Principal CFO Baloga Associates www.twitter.com/edbaloga
  • infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    It's way better to keep each business separate. That way you won't be liable for bankruptcy or force to wind up the business in case once fails really badly.