WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

New Member-Canadian Entrepreneur in Japan

konnichiwajapankonnichiwajapan subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2007 in New Member Welcome
Hello everyone,
Just like to introduce myself. I am originally from Vancouver, Canada now living in Hokkaido, Japan. I have lived here for almost five years now. I initially came here to visit my girlfriend, but have wound up getting married and staying indefinately.
I have always been interested in running my own business (ran a variety of small businesses back in Canada) but on first coming to Japan could only find work as an English teacher. After one year working at one of the large conversation school chains here I left to start my own English school together with my wife. Our school has grown into a fairly successful sole proprietorship English school/English cafe. I teach English classes in the evenings while my wife works in the adjoining cafe.
I also work as an Assistant English Teacher (AET) at the local junior high schools from 8:00am to 3:30pm. In addition, I`ve recently started a new business together with a Japanese business partner, focusing on graphic/web design and marketing. As you can probably guess, my three jobs keep me fairly busy! As the new business grows I hope to move out of the English teaching gig and focus more on what I`m interested in, more IT related work and growing our business into a strong company!
I`m happy to be a part of this community! I look forward to networking and discussing business with everyone here. If anyone has any questions regarding living in Japan or doing business with Japan please feel free to message me!
konnichiwa-japan

Comments

• LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    Konnichiwa-Japan,Welcome to the Forum.  It seems like you`ve certainly picked up the long working hours custom in Japan. We`re glad to have you here. It`s lovely to learn about cross-cultural businesses.See you around!LT
  • JimSprouseJimSprouse subscriber Posts: 3
    konnichiwa-japan
    Welcome to SuN!  I have always wanted to visit Japan.  I live in Texas.  Do you think it would be much of a culture shock for me?
  • konnichiwajapankonnichiwajapan subscriber Posts: 1
    LT - Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I`m definately doing the long working hours thing, but hoping that the new business takes off and I can quit my teaching job. Hopefully the new business will be creating enough income to make a go of it by next spring, as my yearly contract renews in March and I hope to quit then.
    Jim - It probably would be a little culture shock, but that`s what makes it interesting! There`s never been a better time to visit Japan, with the yen low against the dollar and travel within Japan getting cheaper. You should definately visit!