WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

General Website Questions

love777love777 subscriber Posts: 13
Anyone have any suggestions of a good web hosting website. Of course I would be small right now but later hope to really expand.
Does the web hosting vendor manage your site for you? What is their role and responsibilties to your website?
How do you make money off your website? Is it from obtaining advertisers?
Thank you!

Comments

• jimbodkjimbodk subscriber Posts: 1
    When looking for a webhost you can be overwhelmed with the amount of choices you have. Who you choose would depend on the type of site you want to have, and the reliability of the web-host. A web-host will not manage your site, but if you get a web design agency to build your site for you, they will in most cases do the hosting for you as well for a small fee. Again, there are lots of ways to make money off your website, a common one being running ads on your site. Some others would be selling subscriptions, e-commerce, using the site to drive offline sales, etc.Do a bit of research and hang out in some web design forums, and you`ll be up to speed on things pretty soon.
  • love777love777 subscriber Posts: 13
    The site I want to start would not sell anything.
    So I guess I would rely on advertisers. How do you get them? Do you call and ask? Or do you wait for them to approach you?
    Also what kind of money can be made by just advertisers?
    thanks for the reply!
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

The site I want to start would not sell anything.
    So I guess I would rely on advertisers. How do you get them? Do you call and ask? Or do you wait for them to approach you?
    Also what kind of money can be made by just advertisers?
    thanks for the reply!

How much money you make from advertisers would depend on a variety of factors, including the type of website you have and the amount of traffic it receives. You don`t have to prospect for advertisers. In addition to http://adbrite.com</A>
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-19 14:20:6
    Yups, agree with Dale. You`ll barely make enough money for lunch from advertising on a new site. You need to get visitors to the site first with quality content and good marketing/seo. When you get as reasonable amount of daily visitors, then start launching the ads. The ad programs that dale mentions are some of the best around.
    Thanks again for the replies! I definately have no expectation of making any money for while.
    but I guess I am just wondering what the potential is?
    Oh and the type of website I want to create would be like tripadvisor with logins, forums, links to info etc....so any suggestions about web hosting? What about Yahoo? I saw they offer something.
    thanks!love7772007-9-19 15:18:42
    I personally wouldn`t recommend Yahoo hosting as it`s a bit limiting, but if you want a no-frills setup Yahoo is good. I would recommend Hostgator.com. It`s what I use. Also keep in mind that building a forum is a long and arduous process. It`ll be better to start with links and articles (or a blog).
    Ok I`m really new to all this and I"ve read a little but plain english what is the purpose of the web host? What is their role? What type of support would I call them for?
    Oh I don`t expect forums for a while. If I choose one webhost place am I stuck with them for life?
    I know that the money you can make is very dependent on many factors. But when can you make a living from it? Can some of the smaller websites provide enough money to make a living or must you have a HUGE website?love7772007-9-19 15:42:9