WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How to sell to REI

susanna67susanna67 subscriber Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2007 in Business Planning
HI, I have a product that I would like to sell through REI. Where do I turn? How do I go about selling to such a big company? Any special pitches?
Thanks for your advice.
Susanna

Comments

• Options
    LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    Hey Susanna,Provided that you have all your ducks in a row and all you need is to sell your product.  Look up the corporate headquarters of REI.  Once you have that, you`d want to ask for what department handles introduction to new products.Normally, they call them buyers but they are also subdivided into different departments depending on what product you have.  Be prepared to give a short info regarding your product so you can be directed to the right person.I`ve done this route with my pre-paid video email cards and I`ve found that it`s easy to get to this departments and people normally are very helpful to route you in the right direction.  The hard part is what they call the aggregation process this is all the legitimacy procedures from testing your product, bar coding, shipping, and billing etc.Goodluck!LT
  • Options
    susanna67susanna67 subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    Hey, the kids are finally back in school, I got my act together after this summer break.We had briefly been talking about selling to REI. I am still trying to do that. Actually, I am more trying to figure out what labels, warnings and regulations need to be considered before we can get the product (it is heatable undergarmets) into this country.I am a bit at a loss. Thanks for your help.Susanna
  • Options
    infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You would be required to have a great product/service with good track record before approaching REI as you probably have only 1 chance.