WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What comes next after my prototype???

1busymomma1busymomma subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Business Planning
Hello!! I have an idea for pet related product. I`m having a professional prototype made.  Friends and family like the product and so far it`s been alot of fun designing, dreaming of product name, company name, etc.  Have not filed for a provisional patent.  The $5,000 legal fee is not justified yet as I feel more market research is needed.  Other than talking to Petsmart, Petco etc. how else do I research the market?  What do I need to be doing while the prototype is being made.  HELP! I really need mentoring.   All opinions welcomed!  1busymomma

Comments

• 1busymomma1busymomma subscriber Posts: 1
    Farrell,
    Thanks for your response!!  I cannot find a product like mine in any pet stores.  I have found 1 "homemade" product being sold on line that is similar.  I know I have a winner here but it is all in how I market it.  I guess I`ve got to bite the bullet and file for a provisional for some protection so I can get out there to see if there is any real interest.  Can you comment more on "finding a niche?"  I think women will purchase my pet product more that men.  I have read that women purchase something like 78% of all pet products.
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Dear 1busymomma,
    While creating a prototype can be an important step in the product development process, there are other important actions to consider.
    Deciding how best to "protect" your product idea is one of those steps. A provisional patent is one option. However, $5000 to file one is quite a bit higher than the people I work with charge.
  • 1busymomma1busymomma subscriber Posts: 1
    Sorry, let me break it down.  1500 for the prior art search and 3500 for the provisional.  Is that more in line with your co.?
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    If you`ll send me a PM -I`ll be happy to give you the name of the person I recommend.
  • infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Try having a proof of concept and get your first sale.