WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

***Make - A - Pitch***

swaptrexswaptrex subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2009 in Business Planning
Hello fellow entrepreneurs,
My name is Chris, I am a senior at Central Michigan getting a bachelors in ENT and minor in professional sales.  First, let me say I am amazed by this site and feel like I have found one of the best resources possible.  So thank you to those that have made this site what it is today, you did a great job. 
On Saturday, I received a call from my school saying my idea for a product (which I`ve developed the past few years) has been accepted for the upcoming event known as "Make-a-Pitch"  This event is ran by the school of business, and those that are accepted are required to dress professionally and present (and possibly sell) their idea.  The audience will consist of investors, staff, etc.  In fact two years ago, a student came up with the idea of selling "wild game soups."  He brought this idea to Make a pitch, and is now selling them in stores nation-wide.  Another example is a girl that was part of the event came up with an idea of these leggings that are now worn by NFL cheerleaders and Hooter`s waitresses across the country.  My point is that I want to take this as serious as possible and do all the preparation and research possible.  I guess the information I am seeking is any tips, ideas, etc anyone on here has.  I only have 5 minutes to present and "sell" my idea, and can only use index cards.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    davebarnes04davebarnes04 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site from another Michigander...I`m in Ann Arbor. There are a number of resources here for making the pitch. There`s contest running right now which my company is a part of; 2009 Elevator Pitch. There is a another entrepreneur group in Ann Arbor called "Spark". Here`s a link to the Home Page: http://www.annarborusa.org/

They have regular meetings, newsletters, etc. on the subject. You should also look into Great Lakes Entrepreneur. All these locations will have suggestions for format, content and length of your pitch. Check out the Elevator Pitch forum on this site too. If I remember correctly, your pitch is supposed to be about 5mins??? Either way the tips on content will still hold up. You`ll just have a little more room to elaborate in key areas vs. an Elevator Pitch which is a 60 sec. dash.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    swaptrexswaptrex subscriber Posts: 1

Hi Chris, Welcome to the site from another Michigander...I`m in Ann Arbor. There are a number of resources here for making the pitch. There`s contest running right now which my company is a part of; 2009 Elevator Pitch. There is a another entrepreneur group in Ann Arbor called "Spark". Here`s a link to the Home Page: http://www.annarborusa.org/ They have regular meetings, newsletters, etc. on the subject. You should also look into Great Lakes Entrepreneur. All these locations will have suggestions for format, content and length of your pitch. Check out the Elevator Pitch forum on this site too. If I remember correctly, your pitch is supposed to be about 5mins??? Either way the tips on content will still hold up. You`ll just have a little more room to elaborate in key areas vs. an Elevator Pitch which is a 60 sec. dash. Good Luck!
     Great replies so far! Thank you for the links, but I couldn`t fing the Great Lakes Ent. site.. All I found was "Great Lakes Entrepreneur`s Quest."  Is this the same site you are referring to?  I couldn`t find the forum on that particular site.   That`s correct, the presentation is 5 minutes long.  Seems like it will be plenty of time to get my idea across, but I could be wrong. 
  • Options
    infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Try learning the art of Elevator Pitch. It will give you a great head start.