WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Concept for a patent not materialized

DavinciDavinci subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in Business Planning
In 1992 I came up with a "new use" idea for on a existing product, only later to find out someone owned a patent on the Idea concept.  After spending money for a patent search I found that this person had a patent that just showed a vauge rendition of the idea itself.  To my knowledge no one has developed this product yet, and is not on market.  My question is I want to see this product come to market.  I know what it looks like, I know exactly how I visualize it being used, Is it possible to get this product designed.  A prototype developed, with some intalectual property protection without infringing on the patent holders patent?   I contacted the patent holder years ago. He told me that if I had any Ideas to get it going he would be willing to get it going. He realizd he couldn`t do it all on his own.  I`ve since tried to get a hold of him, and I can`t track him down.  Any suggestions?    

Comments

• LiveWiseLiveWise subscriber Posts: 5
    From what I understand of patents, they are very specific.  My friend invented the Dental R.A.T and hold the patent for foot technology of a mouse and the right and left mouse click, but look how many other foot controls and devices are exisiting.  If the patent is vague, you may want to check with a patent attorney since you may be able to get your prototype without infringing upon the existing patent. 
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    In 1992 I came up with a "new use" idea for on a existing product, only later to find out someone owned a patent on the Idea concept.  After spending money for a patent search I found that this person had a patent that just showed a vauge rendition of the idea itself.  To my knowledge no one has developed this product yet, and is not on market.  My question is I want to see this product come to market.  I know what it looks like, I know exactly how I visualize it being used, Is it possible to get this product designed.  A prototype developed, with some intalectual property protection without infringing on the patent holders patent?   I contacted the patent holder years ago. He told me that if I had any Ideas to get it going he would be willing to get it going. He realizd he couldn`t do it all on his own.  I`ve since tried to get a hold of him, and I can`t track him down.  Any suggestions?    

This is really a question relating to a very specific situation. You really should talk with a patent attorney.