WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Use insurance to lure investors

livefreelivefree subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Startup Funding
as a way to attract investors I have been looking into the idea of purchasing term insurance for the amount that an investor invests. I ran into an entrepreneur a few years ago who was using this strategy very effectively but lost contact with him.  None of the insurance companies I spoke to had any objections, they simply did not know how they would structure this.
I understand that some large investors require insurance on particular types of investments.
How would I structure this?

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    It is fairly common for companies (especially start ups) to carry life insurance on the key people in the organization (called Key Man insurance).
    In a typical structure the company is the beneficiary so that in event of the death of a key person, the company would have the funds to (a) buy out investors, (b) find a suitable replacement (c) exist until another suitable solution was found.
    From my experience, the presence of insurance would (in and of itself) not be an enticement or lure for investors.
  • Options
    livefreelivefree subscriber Posts: 1
    That`s great information.  I believe He called it performance insurance.  The business owner promised to perform and in the event he didn`t the insurance would kick in.  Any insight in this?  Thank you for your response.