WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Company personality: Serious AND fun??

DanaeDanae subscriber Posts: 5
edited April 2007 in Marketing
I`m continuing to finetune my company`s "personality" in my head, and I thought I`d see if anyone else has dealt with this or has thoughts on it. 
I want to first and foremost communicate to a potential client that my company does high-quality work and is very committed to achieving the best results possible.  On the other hand, I have a great sense of humor, and I like things to be upbeat and joyful and with a joke here and there.  Do you think there`s a way to communicate the idea of "We`re going to do an awesome, professional job for you AND have fun along the way"?  Does having fun prevent a company from being taken seriously? 
(I know Google has managed to do both, but they started out with putting fun first, I think.  People started taking them seriously when they saw how good they were.)
Note: Please don`t turn this into a discussion of whether you think my website is effective or not.  You`re welcome to look at it, but we`ve already done that discussion on another thread.  I`m working on a redesign, but this issue of serious vs. fun is plaguing me a bit.

Comments

• GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Okay, I`m about as computer savvy as a mold spore, so take this with a grain of salt, but from a very "joe-schmo" point of view, maybe the content can say professional, but the "color" of the brand say fun?  You mentioned google.  Their content says "we know what we are doing"  but the brand`s color just can`t help but give you the sense of fun.  I have no expertise or knowledge of the subject of branding, I`m just up at 11:30 at night, the kids are in bed, my husband is out with boys, and I`m typing the first thing that comes to my mind, right or wrong.  Hope this helps!  If not, disregard
  • LisaLLisaL subscriber Posts: 0
    It can absolutely be done. In a medium like the web, injecting your
    personality into your website will help set your company above the rest.

My suggestion would be to hire the best copywriter you can afford and
    tell them that this is what you`re looking for.

Good luck to you.

Lisa
  • DanaeDanae subscriber Posts: 5
    Thanks, guys!  These are some great thoughts.  I`d post more, but I`m in a hurry right now, but I`ll try to respond a bit later.