WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Need Advice

lstoopslstoops subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Selecting a Business
Hi all,
I have a business idea and I wanted to know what you think. I was thinking about creating a community/networking/directory/resource site for parents who have businesses. This site would educate, connect, and promote a parents` business. Kind of like parents supporting other parents by buying from other parents...if that makes any sense.
Any way, that`s the jist of it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Comments

• lstoopslstoops subscriber Posts: 1
    I don`t know what you mean by it would have to be focused on businesses that specifically connect parents to the business world. I`m talking about creating a site where parents who also own businesses could connect and network. They could also advertise their services and products to  other parent business owners. The idea would be parent business owners helping other parent business owners. Does that make more sense?
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I think if you can reach these folks, provide a valuable service and the offerors had good offerings, you could do well.

Erin
  • googleguygoogleguy subscriber Posts: 47 Bronze Level Member
    Like Erin said......if you have something to offer parents who own their own business....... they will respond and make your idea successful.

My question is......aren`t most of us who own our own business parents also? I mean. wouldn`t that be a majority of business owners? I guess I`m not following how that is such a niche? wouldn`t single business owners be a more of a niche?

I suppose what you are trying to communicate is; you want to establish a network for people who have to deal with running a business and raising a family at the same time.

Anyway, here is an example of a similar idea, it is a website for women business owners. Maybe you can get some ideas.

http://www.wbonwi.com/

best of luck and.....GO GET IT!!!!

www.searchmarketingsystems.net

googleguy8/21/2008 2:40 AM
    Yes, googleguy, you are correct in that I want to establish a network that will support and promote parent owned businesses. I`m primarily talking about small businesses like a Mom who has a baby clothing line or a Dad who has a consulting service. How to run a business and raise a family at the same time (while working out of your home). I also want to inspire other parents who would like to start a business, but do not know where to start.

I was thinking about creating a social networking site. That way other parent business owners can contribute directly with how to articles, real stories of struggles and success, etc. Just not sure how to go about it...
    Oh and I`ll check out that women business owners site... thanks!
    lstoops8/21/2008 8:11 AM
    CraigL - That`s it!!! "A social network for working parents starting their own business"

This is the market I want to target. Okay, so how do I go about doing this...lol. First, I know I need to provide value and find my unique positioning...

I will be asking around, but the best part is - I am my target market. But I don`t want to put up the same ol site with a ton of resources. I want to actually HELP working parents who want to start a business or who have just started.

I will have to find the areas of differentiation...
    I was thinking about experimenting with Ning.com. It seems like a good way to get started with a social network.
    For names, I go back and forth between something Google-ish and something like ParentOwned.com or Parent Biz Network.  I  think I should go with a name that means something. So maybe something with network. hhmmm....I will be thinking about it this weekend.
  • weheeecomweheeecom subscriber Posts: 0
    We may have the answer..
    Let me know what you think of this web Community. 
    www.Weheee.com
    Will go live on January 1, 2009
    Cwaters@Weheee.com
    Weheee.com - The disability community for people to live.
    What do you think about starting up a blog first and then use the blog to launch a network?