WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Question about inventory/expanding

colorcolor subscriber Posts: 3
edited October 2008 in Sales
Hi all,
I am at the point where I need to start expanding my product line, but instead of buying wholesale and stocking most of the inventory myself, I want to look into alternatives. 
I am thinking along the lines of displaying products from manufacturers (but not having them in hand) and if they are ordered, then I would order from the manufacturer.  Is this a normal practice?  How would I get good prices like this (as I would not be ordering in bulk)?
Any other ideas on how to sell without stocking your own inventory?  I am not keen on drop-shipping as I want to maintain a certain amount of "control" and "quality assurance".

Thanks!!
Linda

www.crazy4color.com

Comments

• Options
    kkrafts58kkrafts58 subscriber Posts: 12
    I`m thinking you only want to purchase what you need for an order, because you really don`t have the room for all the inventory, or you don`t want to get stuck with unwanted items? Am I right?  When I receive an order for a food gift basket, that`s when I go out and purchase the items. I do this because I don`t like to have food sitting around and possibly expire. But for most of my items I do keep a few of each in stock, so I can put together a basket at a moments notice. So what you need to consider, is, when someone orders a product, and you  order it from your supplier, will you have enough time to get the product and ship it to your customer?
  • Options
    colorcolor subscriber Posts: 3
       Yes!  Thats exactly my concern -- the turnaround time to the customer as well as getting a good price from the supplier when I am ordering only small amounts at a time!  I am trying to figure out how other retailers do it online -- surely the places selling strollers, carseats etc. don`t have a lot of stock on hand??  ....but then how do they price competitively if they are not ordering in bulk??