WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

HOW TO FIND A MENTOR?

GarfieldGarfield subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2007 in Selecting a Business
I was listening to the 10 Steps to Open for Business as well as talking to some folks who say that I should get a mentor to help me with my startup idea.  I want to open a boutique store (clothing) but don`t know how to find someone.  No store around me would be open to me asking as you can imagine.  I`ve gotten teh suggestion to try SCORE but I`m wondering if anyone else has ideas?  I`d love to talk with store owners to get their advice on how to set up shop.  Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    enlightDanenlightDan subscriber Posts: 0
    I struggle with this too, Garfield. It`s definitely all about networking. Your local Chamber of Commerce is a good place to get started, too. You`d be surprised how willing people are to help. While you might not get advice from your direct competitors, you could get some help from a clothing store owner who doesn`t sell to your target market or just someone that`s generally in retail.There`s tons of options but it`s a tough thing to accomplish. Like anything else in business, it takes time - and us entrepreneurs are always impatient . What I`m aiming to do is to focus my energies into two or three local networking groups. I think regular attendance and involvement is necessary to really get some good contacts in this way.
  • Options
    GarfieldGarfield subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the suggestions!  I will definitely look into them.  Hopefully, I`ll find someone willing to lend a hand.
  • Options
    LilyloohooLilyloohoo subscriber Posts: 0
    Garfield:
    Don`t know if you are still in need of assistance, but I`ve owned a women`s clothing boutique for almost 4 years, and I`d be happy to talk to you.  There`s a ton of things to know before you get into this business, and there`s really no one place to get the information. It`s really on the job training.  And mistakes are very costly.  Anyway, if you want to talk, let me know.
    Lilyloohoo