WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

DONNY and THE BIG IDEA ON CNBC

EllayEllay subscriber Posts: 6
What I find amazing is that this show is like a little club house for entrepreneurs. Both very successful companies and idols (AL Gore,Puff Daddy, Russell Simmons, Rachel Ray) and companies on the rise always plug the fact that they watch the Big Idea. It is inspiring, enriching and motivating. There is no better show for anyone who wants to ditch the cubicle. If you are not a regular watcher...please check your local cabel listings. You will get hooked. It will be like a drug. I can hardly contain myself to watch the whole show. I immediately just jump up and run to the computer to toil with some ideas. It is on CNBC. It is wonderful.

Comments

• storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Hello Ellay -
    I couldn`t agree more. I had the pleasure of attending a taping and participating in a Q/A segment with the panel on the show. Donny is even more inspiring and energetic in person!

I know some people think he`s a bit high-strung, but I don`t think that he could inspire so many people the way that he does by doing it any other way!
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Couldn`t agree more!  How bout those "pocket shots" last night.  Giiiiideee up!
  • beachdibeachdi subscriber Posts: 10
    I am addicted to it!  and this is the first show I want to be on when I make it `slightly big`.   I do not want to be on Oprah...I want Donny D!   I have to Tivo it because I get so fired up at night I cannot sleep.    It is much better to watch in the morning then only my husband is home working and he can hear me downstairs whoopin and a hollerin`.   Then I talk his head off at lunchtime.  Love it Love it Love it.  
    Too funny Dianne! I know what you mean about watching it at night - forget trying to sleep.
    I haven`t watched in a while and I`m feeling a little overhwhelmed and in a slump these days. I think it`s because I need my Donny fix!
    o.k.  talk to me, why r you feeling overwhelmed?    spit it out so we can help you!    Everybody has helped me thru my moments.

di
    Awe...Di, you are so sweet! I really wasn`t fishing for therapy, but...since you offered I`ll gladly accept!

It`s really not one thing in particular, I`m just feeling alot of pressure to get things done. First, manufacturing was delayed about 6 weeks by not one, but two typhoons in China that hit near the factories and flooded them out. You can`t argue with mother nature - and I really do feel terrible for the people in that region. Last year they lost 36 people to typhoons. Still, I had hoped to launch before the holidays and that`s not happening.

My kits are due to arrive in about 5 weeks. They are finishing up production now and then it will be on the slow boat for about 4 weeks. My problem right now is focusing on what really needs to be done. I have so many ideas for products to coordinate with this one, and even more grand plans for partnering with other companies. I need to work on marketing materials, keep up with a newsletter I`ve started, and create my line of children`s artwork and room decor I`ve started. I think I just need to prioritize and manage my time a little better. Plus, I`m tired of wearing all the hats AND being my own cheerleader. My pom-poms feel like lead weights and I think I`m approaching burnout quickly. I do have someone that will be helping me after the the holidays, but it`s going to be a chore to even figure out how to delegate all of the things on my list. Jeff and Rich had me on a podcast a few weeks ago and we created a nice list of things to do before lauching. I think I need to listen to it again to keep me on the right track. It`s hard for me to stay on course because I like to create and I`m starting to get cranky with all of the other things. It sounds silly, and like I`m whining...but that`s probably really the root of the problem. 

So, if you have any wisdom you`d like to share on how to pull it all together I am open to suggestions!!

Holy Cow,
    Ditto Ditto and Ditto.    I feell all of your pain.   
    1.  which podcast I need to listen to it.  2.  I want to be designing clothes  and different tshirt designs.. Not gonna happen right now as there is too much else to do.   3.  I am the only one.  I am an island.   I am writing copy, taking photos both still and live for the website, pricing (again and again), trying to think about approaching retailers for wholesale order (scary) 4.  my website is late.  I was really upset about this.  It would have been great to have everybody huddled around after turkey checking it out.   I could go on and on. 
    My main problem is not only prioritizing task, but estimating the amount of time needed for each task on a daily basis.   I sometimes only have 1 hour of uninterrupted time.    By the time I get focused, Wham it is over. 
    suggestions-  You are doing a great job, we believe in you.   Get out of your own head.   go for a walk, go have food/coffee by yourself.  Get out in nature.   Refresh and renew your mind.   Talk to a funny friend.    Accept what we cannot change.   IT SUCKS you will not be ready by Christmas.       I have handled these disappointments by knowing that I am not ready for a huge order wholesale order, nor any major online orders.  I need to fine tune my shipping and handling, learn how to handle billing, inventory, returns, money coming in, money going out.  etc.  There is a reason the Universe is telling me to take it slow.   I will have the slow jan/april season to analyze my customers, my designs and figure my future path as I also have many other product ideas.  
    You will also have the slow season to adjust to the daily running of the business.  We will do it together.   then we will go on the donny show together, along with Leslie! 
    I am currently not doing what I am suppose to be doing...I am drowning in my sea of paperwork on my desk. AND the kids are all out of school today at 1:00 and do not return til next monday.    That has put a screeching halt to some of my task. 
    Di 
    HA!!!!  You said it!  Donny, here we come!!!  Okay, after the holidays we will all regroup.  I also feel like the past 2 weeks have been 1 big out of body experience.  I`m terrified to fail, I`m terrified to succeed, I want to be a great mom and not snap at the kids, I want to be a great wife and not have my husband want to put me in the crab trap, I want it ALL somedays and then on others I want NONE OF IT!  Once thing is for sure, we will all get through it together and we`ll laugh all the way to Big Idea taping this Spring   (Just throwing that out there)  Ya gotta have goals huh??
    I just got off the phone with Di and I am feeling MUCH better! Sometimes it really does help to talk to others in the same boat. I think that accomplish my goals I really need to keep my priorities straight - not self-destruct by trying to do to much, too soon. This is definately not something that comes easy for me, but we all have our challenges on this journey - I guess this is mine.

Yes, after the holidays I will definately be regrouping - and shooting for the Donny show. Leslie - how are you doing with your product? Fill us in!

I had a GREAT conversation with Melissa...Thank you Thank you!
    her guidance and suggestions propelled me to email a sales rep I had met at a trade show in September, plus I am getting my final photos for the website completed right now! I now know I need to reach out and ask for more advice and assistance.
    what a great place to meet people who are in the same boat, drifting, getting seasick, then finding the wind and finally taking off into the sunset.
    UPDATE us please Leslie.  i am so excited for you.  
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Like Emeril, I can`t watch Donny - why do these people think it is necessary to yell at their audience?
    - J.
    I definately know what you mean Jeff. He doesn`t bother me, but my husband gets annoyed with Donny too. I think he`s just a little too animated for some people. Emeril gets on my nerves though!
    I am holding off on the big update until my e commerce site is up which should be Monday.  I`ll be sending out something soon grasshopper... very very soon
  • MrbusinessMrbusiness subscriber Posts: 8
    I love Donny for Sure.  He is very interesting!
  • SweetdreambedSweetdreambed subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi Sun Members,
    I love the show its such an inspiration watching the small companies, believe in there dreams and listening to some of there trials and tribulations ( quitting jobs, family and friends not believing in them etc.) and then learning about how they became successful.
    Its very inspiring. I love it!!
    www.sweetdreambed.com