WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
edited April 2007 in Public Relations
I have just been contacted by a production company and they have made me a very interesting offer, I just don`t know what to make of it. The show is called `Great Taste` and is geared toward the upper income demographic. They feel that my business would be a good fit for a segment that they are doing on rustic decorating. Here is their proposal:1.) The show will air 1x on Style Network, 1x on Womens Network, and 48x on E!2.)I will have the final word on the script and the contents of the segment.3.)I will have the right to reproduce and publish the segment anytime and as much as I wish.Here is the caveat...they require a licensing fee of $19,500! So here are my questions..1.) Will the benefits of this exposure lead to enough sales to justify the expense?2.)Is this some kind of ploy to get me to shell out big bucks for what essentially a fancy commercial?3.)Is this a legitimate proposal. In otherwords, is this how things are done in that industry and should I be happy to be included for consideration?This was such a random and unexpected call and I am completely clueless about such things as this. Please, if you have any experience or advice please post a reply ASAP. They are overnighting a production package and I am scheduled to speak with a Sr. Producer early next week. I am including a link to their website which has a sample segment on it that you can view. I must also note that I have never heard of this show before....<a href="http://www.platinumtelevisiongroup.com">Great Taste</a>
smurph052007-4-12 12:53:38

Comments

• smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
    Ok, I`m sorry that I cannot create a hyperlink for you......I have tried and tried to no avail. I`ll just add this to my list of things that I don`t know enough about. 1. television show production2.marketing3. creating hyperlinksThe list could go on and on.....
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Sharon,
    If this big advertising amount doesn`t fit into your budget and goals, you may want to try traditional PR efforts. I`m not sure of all the details, but your placements may come across as "advertisements," and you`ll get more credibility if a third-party reporter writes a story about you.
    If traditional, grassroots PR efforts don`t work, you can always look into purchasing placements and advertising. There will always be opportunities to buy advertising.
    If you need additional help, feel free to send me a personal message.
    Thanks,Melanie
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    I know NOTHING about this either but off the top of my head, it sounds like you paying for your part of an infomercial "timeshare".  I looked at their sample show and there are sections for all sorts of businesses so maybe they approach companies that fit that profile and everyone pays $19,000.00 and they buy 30 min. on the networks mentioned then they keep the difference.  How long is your "spot"?  What time of day or night will it run?  There of lots of crazy "infomercial" type programs that run at 3:00 AM trying to look like legit. shows.  True shows what want to do a real story on you don`t ask you to pay them.  This is surely an "ad" of some kind, the question is, are you willing to pay, how much,  and is it something you want your business associated with.  The answer very well may be yes.  Just go into it with open eyes.  Keep us all posted!!!!
  • SunrisemgmtSunrisemgmt subscriber Posts: 1
    I concur as I was approached by a similar service last fall/winter.  If you haven`t tried traditional marketing and PR first, I`d explore those options. As an experienced marketer, I haven`t seen good metrics showing direct correlation between television impressions and sales (increased business).  Other marketing methods offer better ROI and are usually more effective.By the way, companies such as these often position it as a great opportunity for you when in reality it`s biz development for them.  They are always happy to take your money (licensing fees) to expand their business.Hope that helps!
  • JDawgJDawg subscriber Posts: 4
    Wow! I would actually be a bit taken aback that I was asked to be a spot on a show.... but hey... you have to pay for it!  I don`t know if it`s done that way in TV Land but I would put my money into getting you web site ranked on search engines, to be honest. With good Online Marketing, your website allows you a storefront to sell all day and all night on the Internet for a lot less than two 5 minute spots at $19,500. Just another perspective here...
  • smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
    I agree with you all, my instinct was correct and you confirmed it. They didn`t want me they wanted my money! Dang! I never would have spent 20Gs on this but it was worth looking into. You are all right, my money would be better spent on SEO and traditional marketing. I didn`t even think to ask what time of day the show would be broadcast, that is a very important point. And I do think that Grillcharmer is right on the money when she states that this is probably a "timeshare infomercial" disguised as an  "educational show" as they put it. And I also think that Sunrisemgmt is right about the metrics, they can`t possibly favor me. This is what I love about SUN, we all get to benefit from other people`s experience and expertise. I don`t know where else I could get such quick, honest, and sound advice.....Thanks!
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Yep Sharon,  that`s what this place is all about!  Thank you so much for sharing your story!  I have totally learned something by your experience.  I`m afraid had I gotten the call, I would have been more of a deer in headlights then logical thinker.  It`s easy to give people advice and think things through when it`s not YOU in the moment.  Now I will be prepared if that call ever comes.  Good stuff guys!
  • lashallelashalle subscriber Posts: 3
    yeah i have to agree that this sounds like a scam, while i don`t know what your business is, however the style network is for fashion, interier decorating, makeovers and all things fashion. by me being a fashion designer i watch the stle network relentlessly, and the e channel is basically all bout celebrity news. and reality tv shows. I hope this was helpful.
    LaShalle