WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Best way to find over seas appearal manufacturer

crazychixcrazychix subscriber Posts: 5
edited March 2007 in Grab Bag
I am an aspiring entrepreneur, I have created a new appearal product and have started the patent process. I wanted to produced it locally and have talked to a few sewing contractors, all have suggested that to produce it at a low cost to me, I really needed to go overseas to China or go to Mexico. What is the best way to research manufacturers oversea`s to get this process started. I have a prototype made and could easy make a pattern up for them, just don`t know where to start.

Comments

• Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    I had FANTASTIC luck with my local World Trade Center.  (I`m in SC so the SCWTC was the key to my overseas manufacturing)  There are also some great sourcing agents out there (maybe even part of our SuN community who could help)  I`m sure you will some great answers here.  Just be prepared as the minimums are high.  If you need to start small then I would suggest looking domestically on www.thomasnet.com</A> until you have the numbers to support going overseas.
  • Options
    crazychixcrazychix subscriber Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the info. - the problem I am finding with domestic manufacturers is that all they produce is industrial product and do not work with anything in a cotton broadcloth which I need. I prefer to work with someone  in the states  until my business can support a higher quantity demand. Was considering QVC`s Oprah`s Next Big Idea until I realized that I could not find a supplier for my product in a timely fashion. Thanks again for the your suggestions, I will look further into staying in the states and hopefully find a manufacturer who can product my product. I look forward to many more discussions in hopes that I can get my ducks in a row before jumping into the big entrepreneur pond.