WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

question

reneedreneed subscriber Posts: 4
hi my question is i have an idea for a clothing company but i dont have a degree in fashion design. i have a degree web design. I have exprience creating logos. should i hire desingners and run with it. i have two colleges near me that teach fashion design.   thanks

Comments

• rocknroll333rocknroll333 subscriber Posts: 2
    Reneed,
    I am in fashion design school and dont have my degree yet. I created a clothing company with a partner who is a graphic designer. The number one thing you need to know about fashion is only 1% of online fashion companies make money. 99% dont make a profit. Most people want to buy clothes in person and try them on. You need to not think about building an online clothing business by itself. You need to have another plan, retail sales, store, wholesale etc. to supplement your online business.
    If you can go to a fashion design school I recommend it. Another way to get industry information is to attend fashion trade shows. Magic www.magiconline.com</A> has free seminars for attendees. Topics include Starting a Clothing Company, Sourcing Internationally, Trend Forecasting etc. I went to magic in february and went to every seminar over a 4 day period.
    Here is some recommended reading:
    Fashion for Profit - Francis HarberStarting a clothing company - www.fabjob.com</A> Ebook
    =====
    We are a finalist in the Win a Vacation contest. Vote for "Rocknroll333"