WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What if it did exsist, What would it be like??

NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
From time to time..I see postings on Start Up Nation Regarding web hosting companies, and the technical and customer support issues  that many people are experiencing with them. So... I am curious to find out... What if there was "the perfect web hosting company" out there? What would you want it to be? What would you expect it to be? What are you more concern about, Functionality or Support? What is your current company lacking and what would you like to see improvements on? See the reason why I am asking is because.... Honestly... What would it take for all of us on the forum to say "I am happy with my current web hosting company".Just wondering...................

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Degrees,Of course there is the perfect restaurant!... Remember you set your standards.. and I am pretty sure you have a restaurant that you like... a restaurant that you think has the perfect chips or salsa (just an example).. Remember, it`s what you make it... (when you set your standards, that is what best for you..at the time!)So back to the Web Hosting Question, what are your standards? What do you expect from them in return for your monthly fee and long term Commitment.. 
  • rocknroll333rocknroll333 subscriber Posts: 2
    I love startlogic. They respond to inquiries quickly, have live chat. great website uptime, and the user interface is riduculously easy. Its like the IPod of webhost solutions. And its cheap. If you own your domain name, a year hosting costs just $70. sometimes they have sales (usually at the end of the year) cutting hosting cost to $30.  www.startlogic.com</A>
    Check out my hot Elevator pitch 7.24.06 on startupnation podcast
    p.s. I am a finalist in the win a vacation contest. please vote for me "rocknroll333"
    Shamesless? What makes your company the best? Explain to us. I just read that your prices went up 50% that is alot. But can you explain to us, what makes your company special? How many clients do you have, and how many domain names you have registered?
    Ok, So that is only two clients... But How is your Tech Support? What type of Server Side Languages do you offer? Are you a reseller or do you own the servers? What Control Panel are you using? What is the response time for your support tickets? Are you 24 hour Tech support? Why do you charge a set up fee? Most web hosts are free set up.. Again what makes you a good web hosting company...
  • rocknroll333rocknroll333 subscriber Posts: 2

For anyone who can answer --What are the pros and cons regarding do-it-yourself sites (that sound like something I might be able to handle) vs. hiring a web hosting service? Who owns the domain name?  I don`t even know what questions I need to ask! Anyone`s input would be appreciated.

You can buy a template and modify it checkout www.templatemonster.com</A>. Good for beginners but you need to know how to use dreamweaver and photoshop. If you dont want to learn those you can find someone to custom build you a 5-7 page site for a couple thousand.
    Domain names: Buy your own name. You will own the domain and are responsible for paying fees on an annual or term basis. I usually buy domains in 2 year blocks. I like www.aplus.net</A> to purchase domain names because they have live support if I need assistance.
    You have to have a web hosting service to host your website. Startlogic is fantastic. Yahoo also has a good host solution, but I prefer startlogic because of the price and service is phenomenal.  www.startlogic.com</A>
    Thats all you need to create a killer website. You need someone or to hire someone that knows HTML, Flash, and Photoshop. If you hire someone make sure they teach you basic website updating skills so that you can handle content changes on your site yourself.
    Hope this helps.

Thats all you need to create a killer website. You need someone or to hire someone that knows HTML, Flash, and Photoshop. If you hire someone make sure they teach you basic website updating skills so that you can handle content changes on your site yourself.
    Hope this helps.

RocknRoll333,So thats what it takes to have a killer web site huh? A template, a domain name, and web hosting. Rock, these are your basic requirements to owning a web site. I don`t know about a killer web site, but something to get your through.. Until, you wake up one day and find out that your web site is no longer useful to you or your company needs. When you use a template, you are limited to what you can do. Very hard to manipulate objects, and content, so you are stuck with the format. I found that when using a template, you are limiting your creativity and most of all, if you get a chance go to template monster and click on any of the templates, and check their price. Do you see the Unique price some start at $2,590.00, and of course 65.00 bucks for a license to use the template. So lets say you paid the Unique price, you still have to hire a flash designer, to edit it for you. that will be another 600.00, so now we are up 3,100.00. So much for template monster. Lets say you take the other approach and buy the license for $65.00 and you pay a web designer to edit it for you, I doubt the web designer will take the time to coach you and train you to do the updating. Now before you leave template monster, do you see how many people have downloaded the template? the one I am looking has 1576 downloads so far.. So now your business looks like 1576 others, how do I distinguish you from your competitors? Now, imagine you paid the Unique price? But 1576 others have the same template, is my business unique? So lets say, by miracle you purchased the template at unique price, and there are 0 purchased before you. Is a template the best approach?What about the other areas? SEO, Submission, and Keywords?Do you know anything about Search Engine Optimization? Search Engine Submission, Meta Tags and Description? How do we let the world know we are in business? Just something to consider...