WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I.C.E. Instant Chase Eliminator

klebeklebe subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2008 in Developing Your Invention
I thought perhaps if I started a new topic in this forum that it may generate  additional comments regarding a  post I submitted yesterday under the heading;  ProductDesign/Development. In a nutshell, I have a Idea/Device that could virtually eliminate a vehicle from fleeing in the event it was being pursued by Law Enforcement. I have not spoken to anyone in the electrical engineering field regarding the mechanics of this device. However, since one of my previous businesses included a small chain (Six stores) of NAPA AUTO PARTS stores, I`m pretty familiar with vehicle systems and how they operate. Therefore, the mechanical /electrical design should be relatively simple for someone in the electrical/engineering field. The real beauty of this device is; It will not require any special equipment purchase on behalf of Law Enforcement or the consumer.
I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or interest regarding this idea.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• klebeklebe subscriber Posts: 1
    Deb,

Thanks for your input! I live near St.Louis, Mo. and much like Houston, high speed pursuits are pretty common. Unfortunately, half end up with innocent people being killed. As I mentioned, the real beauty of this device aside from Law Enforcement, is the  consumer side. How many times have you heard the story where mom or dad run into the convenience store and leave their child in a running car ( Can`t believe people do this, but it happens)  only to come out and see it driving off! Or, the vehicle is  carjacked. With this device mom or dad would have the ability to stop/stall the vehicle regardless if they were in it or not! Why wouldn`t anyone especially in large cities where this frequently happens, not consider instaling this on their vehicles? I truly believe the potential is unlimited.
  • getalifegetalife subscriber Posts: 0
    Sounds like an interesting idea.  For the consumer point of view, it might be an attractive aftermarket add-on.  You may want to do some searches for "remote" "kill switch" to see if there`s already something like it.  I`d be interested to help if you need some technical  collaboration.   I`m an electrical engineer with 15+ years experience in circuit design.

Getalife,

Thanks for your input. Research indicates that nothing like this currently exists. I agree, the consumer appeal for a product of this nature could be huge. Especially in large metropolitan areas where theft is all to common. However, the biggest potential lies with the auto manufactures. Once the device was tested and proven, I truly believe that the NTSB would have to consider requiring all manufactures to incorporate this device on their vehicles, much like they did with air bags. However, I`m assuming it will require outside influence from, Insurance Companies, and  Law Enforcement Agencies, before they will consider mandating something like this. I appreciate your offer regarding help. However, I`m meeting next week with a local manufacturing firm, who specializes in electrical engineering. I  know the principals personally. Therefore, I trust that the idea/concept will be kept totally confidential?

Thanks again,

Ed
  • getalifegetalife subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Ed,
    Thinking about it a little more myself I see one of the main concerns.  The fact that this is some sort of kill switch, it may invoke a fairly dangerous situation.  If it`s implemented as a remote control, you could accidentally engage the kill switch while driving yourself on the freeway.  Perhaps a safer method would be to just force an ignition kill after leaving turning off the engine but this is probably the same as any other built in car alarm.  I did something similar to this before car alarms were popular.   I just installed an electrical switch in-line with the starter wire from the ignition key switch.  It was some obscure looking thing that was hidden behind the bottom part of the dashboard.  Another thing to consider is that many new cars today already use RFID technology for keyless entry and ignition.  This requires that an authorized keyfob be physically nearby before the car door can be opened and the car started.  Perhaps then, it might be better to target the law enforcement angle like you have mentioned.
  • GetAGripGetAGrip subscriber Posts: 14
    Isn`t OnStar able to disable a vehicle at any time?

I have seen on police shows, where they set up a vehicle to be stolen, the doors lock and the car shuts down.  Do you have a different concept?

Sorry if you already answered that, I didn`t have time to read the whole thread.
    Getalife,

You bring up some very good points. We`ve discussed the issue of safety once a vehicle is disabled. However, as you probably have experienced,  the rack and pinion sytems found on todays car, provide marginal steering even with the engine off. With this concern in mind, I  have an alternative; instead of shutting down the PCM, the device could be wired into the  idle side or low speed of the PCM. Most car thiefs would probably not be interested in continuing with the theft in a vehicle traveling 8-10 mph down the freeway. And, even if they were, the consequences of someone getting killed due to a pursuit is unlikely at that speed! Regarding GetAGrip`s comment about OnStar; Yes they can track and disable a G.M. vehicle only. However, you have to be a current subsciber to the service.