WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Web Based Restaurant Guide

kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
edited June 2008 in Business Planning
Hi All,
Firstly, I would like to say I am glad to come across this site. It has got a lot useful information. I have a lot of reading to do and there is a lot to learn..

Just to introduce myself and give my background...
I am 25 and been working for a semiconductor company for over two years, having graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering in 2005. Life has been pretty comfortable and routine when one day I was pondering in my sunroom about my life. I asked myself do I want to be Test Engineer for the rest of my life?
My heart, mind and soul said, " Ummmm I do not think so", and thus my journey to Entreprenurial ideas began. I spent couple of weekends on www.entrepreneur.com and www.springwise.com.

There were some real excellent ideas. I know at heart I am an environmentalist but would like to hold on the green ideas for a bit, but I did find some nice web based ideas..

So getting to the discussuion, I am planning to open a web-based restaurant guide - something on the lines of www.lasvegasrestaurants.com    (no fast food)
I am planning to launch this in North Carolina, where I live. So wanted to get some ideas/suggestions from the gurus here about how do I go about forming a business plan.

How do I approach the restaurants or get a listing?
How do I market my idea to restaurants and consumers alike?
How should I devise my growth strategy?
I am plannning to charge restaurants for web space and have it free for consumers..How do I make my revenue stream more robust and diverse?
What kind of technical expertise is required with respect to website? I would like to have a site where people can reserve a table by going online - do everything online like you would do in amazon.com, for example.
Once a customer base is established and the site has gained some visibility, I plan to charge users for additional benefits like discount coupons for a theatre or discount in restaurants/pubs etc...Is this a good idea?

I have a lot of questions but I think this is good to start with. This is the first time I feel entrepreneurial and I am really excited about it.

Please feel free to answer any questions or ask me more questions if anything is not clear. Hope to have a gainful discussion here.

KJ

Comments

• Options
    ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
    Great idea!! I would copy the model of the LasVegas site. I see they have been around since 2001 and have restaurant guides to other cities so it looks like a promising idea if done right. You can start with one of the larger cities in NC. I wouldn`t charge customers a thing. Listing any available coupons will give added incentive for customers to actually visit your site. Only charge restaurants a fee for reservations made through your site. Also offer advertising to restuarants to be featured on the homepage for example.
    I don`t think there will be a problem listing restaurants on your site. Just go down the phone book. Selling the idea of online reservations and how much you`ll get will be the main thing to really worry about. I think this is the main revenue stream for this company. Look how many reservations they have made since 2002. 500,000+ wow!! So if they charged like $5 per reservation thats like over $400,000 per year in sales.

Good luck
  • Options
    kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
    Thanks Prodigy!
    I have been doing my home work lately and trying to learn more about the E-business etc...