WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Publicity Stunts

ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
edited May 2008 in Public Relations
Would you hire out a firm that can coordinate a publicity stunt for your business that promises national media attention?
If so, how valuable do you think such a stunt can be to the success of your business?

Comments

• BannerViewBannerView subscriber Posts: 1
    If the stunt is well coordinated and then followed up with a supplemental campaign, I would say that it would be worth it. By itself, I don`t think it would produce any long term results.
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    My question is... how can they promise national media attention?

It is usually impossible to guarantee placements because the final decision is based on factors outside of your control (editor`s cuts, hot news, etc.). I would find this out first before moving forward.

Melanie
  • ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
    Yes media attention cannot be guaranteed but it certainly can be swayed that way with the right amount of creativity and logistical planning. Im talking about the coordination of a "Hollywood blockbuster" stunt that you know news agencies will want to cover. If done right the stunt will do good to your company and give it an outstanding amount of publicity, will it not?

If you spend enough time planning and doing the appropriate research, a "Hollywood blockbuster" stunt can generate some great media attention.
    If you are ready, the entire process falls within your budget and you have a good feeling about it, go for it!

Melanie
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    PRPro (melanie),

what would you say are some of the things to watch out for or be sure to do or ask for when you hear a promise like "we`ll get you national media attention"?

Hi Rich,

If you hear a promise like that, it`s best to ask for specifics.

Maybe the publicist has a personal relationship with a key media member? Or perhaps he or she writes for a specific publication on the side and can include you in an unbiased article?

Listen carefully to the responses. Do they sound unethical or too good to be true?

And after your conversation, check for comments and complaints online at various industry and business sites. For example, look for the publicist`s listing at the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org). If you see a bad rating and complaints, you`ll know you need to look elsewhere for PR help.

Basically, you need to check references and conduct some research before hiring a publicist. Otherwise, you could end up losing a lot of time, money and effort!

Melanie
    Melanie, those are some good points to consider when hiring out a publicist that makes such a claim. I only ask this question because I myself though of a business idea in which, though it may sound farfetched, me and a team of marketing and event coordinator professionals plan out these blockbuster stunts. I have not seen a pr or marketing firm that specializes in this approach to publicity. I definitely think we can get the media attetion for our clients, but agree there is no promise and I should not make such claims.

What do you guys think...is there a niche for this type of service? If so keep your eyes on the news
    I think you should go for it! I wish you all the best, and I will keep my eyes on the news!
    Melanie
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

Would you hire out a firm that can coordinate a publicity stunt for your business that promises national media attention?If so, how valuable do you think such a stunt can be to the success of your business?
       Prodigy, here are a few things to keep in mind when you present your concept to potential clients. First of all, be conservative with your claims. No PR firm can guarantee national media attention. That`s not your call. I personally would look suspiciously at any company that made such "pie in the sky" promises, that didn`t have proof to back them up. Also, if I were a client, I would ask to see proof of past performance. I`d want to know what other companies you`ve succeeded in getting national media attention for. I`d verify any and all claims of success. Also, I`d check out your company throughly with the BBB as well as with your state`s Attorney General. One last thing, it has been my experience that legitimate PR companies just don`t make such outlandish promises. I`m not suggesting you shouldn`t go for it. But if you make a claim, you`d better be able to back it up, or you can kiss your credibility goodbye! Regarding the viability of your idea, if you prove that you can do this successfully more than once, you`ll be a rich man! Dale King  DKing5/16/2008 10:26 AM
    Dale, the toughest part will be getting my first client. My service won`t be priced real cheap by any means so most likely I will be able to attract only large advertisers, thats if they even trust in my service and what it can do. Like I said its just getting that first client.

Should I present and offer my services for free to a large company and take a monetary hit with hopes of the stunt being a success and attracting other companies?

Dale,  should I present and offer my services for free to a large company and take a monetary hit with hopes of the stunt being a success and attracting other companies?
       Prodigy, if you`re that confident in your ability to produce results - YES!  Put your money where your mouth is! Since your business is brand new and you don`t yet have any clients, the quickest way to develop a portfolio is to perform your service for free, or at a greatly discounted rate, in exchange for a video testimonial. The valuable video testimonials you get back in return will more than make up for any losses you take initially. Dale KingDKing5/16/2008 4:14 PM
  • TapeSealTapeSeal subscriber Posts: 5
    I agree completely with Dale, I think you would need to offer your services for free at least one time.  Consider approaching a small / new company for the `stunt`.  My thoughts are that what if you could put a new company on the map, so to speak.  That would add to the credibility factor.  Just a thought. 

Good luck to you!!
  • FlyRightFlyRight subscriber Posts: 0
    I think we all know what you mean by "publicity stunt", but I think that phrase has a lot of negative connotations. (e.g. it`s usually preceded by the term "failed") You should come up with a more positive term for it, like publicity extravaganza (come on all you copywriters--help him out!).
    I think we all know what you mean by "publicity stunt", but I think that phrase has a lot of negative connotations. (e.g. it`s usually preceded by the term "failed") You should come up with a more positive term for it, like publicity extravaganza (come on all you copywriters--help him out!).

I disagree. The term "publicity stunt" doesn`t have any negative connotations for me.

Dale King