WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Tagline - witty or dirty?

EdgEventEdgEvent subscriber Posts: 10
edited February 2008 in Marketing
So i`ve been brainstorming for a short tagline for my corporate event planning business and haven`t had a whole lot of luck coming up with something that stands out. Except one...but i`m not sure it`s appropriate for the corporate world.
I will preface it by saying i am beginning a home based event planning company targeting small to mid sized businesses, Planning events for Fundraisers, product launches, ceremonies, meetings etc. But being a fairly young person (I`m 27) with a lot of trendy, edgy, and modern design ideas, I also don`t want to appear to be a stuffy, old, all-business type of company. I enjoy working with businesses because marketing professional have great creative visions and that compliments my own creative abilities to bring those visions to life. I would like my niche to be with new, up-and-coming companies who want something different with their events, that stands out.
Anyway..the best tagline i could come up with was:
EdgEvent Designs....You put it on. We pull it off.
I thought it was a nice witty play on words, which hinted at you putting on a show or event and we are the ones who behind the scenes can pull it off for you. But my bf said it had a sort of dirty implication (maybe he just has a dirty mind but his first thought was of putting on clothes and pulling off clothes...) and that wasn`t good if i want to target businesses because it`s not as professional. I can see why he would think that, but i`m not entirely sure it`s a bad thing.  Yes, i`m marketing towards companies, but many of the companies are marketing/PR companies.  Do you think they would be put off by something like that? Or would they appreciate the wittiness? And since i am a young, modern,  fun loving girl...is it so bad to have a funny if not slightly risque implication as an undertone in my tagline, especially if i want to find a niche with companies who want something different?
Any thoughts or opinions would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

"You put it on. We pull it off."

That`s a great tagline. It`s a bit suggestive, but not offensively so.

Dale King

DKing2/11/2008 1:01 PM
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    the tagline definitely has a nice hook. but i`d provide this additional advice:

if the name of your company is not descriptive of the service you provide and you use this tagline in combination with it, i don`t think it will be easy for anyone at a glance to know what it is you do.

be sure your brand - or whatever combination of components makes up that brand - is easy to "get" at a glance. that way, you`ll be able to avoid wasting a lot of time educating people about what you do.
    Rich2/11/2008 1:31 PM
  • EdgEventEdgEvent subscriber Posts: 10
    Hi Rich,
    I thought about that when coming up with the name but i thought my company name was pretty good about explaining what I do.  I Design and plan Events with a sort of Edgy modern twist....hence...EdgEvent Designs.
    Do you think that is not clear enough to use a tagline like this?
    Thanks.
    Kim
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    Hi Rich,
    I thought about that when coming up with the name but i thought my company name was pretty good about explaining what I do.  I Design and plan Events with a sort of Edgy modern twist....hence...EdgEvent Designs.
    Do you think that is not clear enough to use a tagline like this?
    Thanks.
    Kim

not sure, kim - do people know this is not a "design" company, but an event planning company? ask around...
    Rich2/11/2008 1:59 PM
    The problem was there are already event planning companies with many of those names.  Edge Events was taken. Cutting Edge Events, Over the edge events, Eclectic Edge events, On the edge events, Events on the edge...are all taken as is edgevent.com. It was really hard to find names that weren`t taken and had available domains that had the world "Events" in it alone. That`s why i added the Designs to it instead of "Planning" cuz i thought designs implied more originality and creativity.
    but i`m open to more suggestions.
    I see your point about reworking the name. And i agree that the name has flaws.  But it took me 3 months of brainstorming to pick this name and countless hours of surfing the web, flipping through the thesaurus and checking available domain names to find a name i liked and that was available on the web and within the industry. And I tried a lot of variations with every word i could think of involved in my industry. Occasions, Productions, Visions, High-end, Trendy, Cutting edge, state of the art, Posh, Modern, Unique etc etc. I`m not sure how many other words for Edgy there are. Plus i have already applied for business licenses and tax info and bought the domain with this DBA. I don`t know how hard it will be to change all that to a new name.
    Would maybe de-emphasizing the Designs part help? In my Logo the main focus is the `EdgEvent` real big and the `designs` is sort of a smaller detail. to the side. And then doing as Craig suggested...making the tagline sort of separate from the name? Or would EdgEvent Productions be better than Designs? I just thought that was really long for a name and website.EdgEvent2/11/2008 5:08 PM
    I think the best option for me would be to keep EdgEvent as is and change "Designs" to "Productions". That way i wouldn`t really have to rework my entire logo and everything and productions sounds more like event work than Designs. the website edgeventpro.com and edgeventproductions.com are both available so that should be fine. It would be a pretty minor change. And when i refer to the company i can just call it EdgEvent for short. And hopefully altering the DBA a bit won`t cause too many problems.
    Thanks for everyone`s suggestions and opinions. I appreciate it.
    Kim
    I think the best option for me would be to keep EdgEvent as is and change "Designs" to "Productions". That way i wouldn`t really have to rework my entire logo.

You`re way off-track, Kim. The best option is to make sure that your business name clearly states what you do without confusion. If that means starting over from scratch with a new logo and business name - then so be it. It`s better to get it right, than to risk losing business because you don`t want to change things around. Brainstorming isn`t easy, but if you take the easy way out and leave things as they are, you do so at great peril to your business.

Dale King
    DKing2/12/2008 11:34 AM
    Hi CampSteve,
     I would love to call it just EdgEvents but as i said before i can`t because it`s taken by another company. And i`ve tried a number of those options to cut out words and or rearrange and shorten words in every combination i can think of. The names I came up with are taken with in domains, registrations or both and i`m totally out of ideas. If anyone has an actual suggestion for a better name...i`m all ears, but it took 3 months for me to find a name that i thought encompassed my company only to find i was wrong. But i have no more ideas. I`ve been wracking my brain about it since it was first mentioned here and i have nothing.
    I understand what everyone is saying about the name not quite explaining exactly what i do, but i also don`t want a name as boring as Corporate Events Co. just to make it clear to everyone what i do.  I`d rather have people ask me what i do because i do a very wide variety of events and offer a lot of different services that can`t be summed up in one tag line or name anyway. And unfortunately i don`t think calling my company something random like Limejuice Events will give me any more distinction than EdgEvent Designs did. So i`m sort of stuck right now.
    Karen, the word "Design" is part of the problem. It`s too confusing.

Dale King
    DKing2/12/2008 3:56 PM
    Kim, with so many people giving you advice, I`m sure your head must be spinning by now. My advice: Take a deep breath and walk away from this thread for awhile, so that you can gather your thoughts. I realize everyone here is only trying to help, but too much help can also be detrimental. Sort of like "too many cooks spoiled the broth!"

Dale King

DKing2/12/2008 4:08 PM
    I appreciate everyone trying to help and all your opinions. I`ll think about it some more and if i come up with some potentials maybe i`ll post again to get more opinions before i make s decision about a name again.
    Thanks.
    Kim
    So i`ve been doing more thinking and decided to try to come up with a better name. I`ve been sorta going back and revisiting a lot of the names i threw out previously and figured i might as well ask for opinions here.
    The one i like best (after EdgEvent i mean) was Mnemonic Events. Mnemonic as in...helps to remember and i want the events to be memorable. So i thought it worked. Problem is Mnemonic is sort of hard to say and even harder to spell for many people so i didn`t think it would be a good choice.
    Other potentials were:Paradox Events
    Outer Box Events
    Enigma Event
    Vybe Events
    Citron Events
    Atomic Events
    Limey EventsBut i didn`t feel like any of them really rolled off the tongue well. I tried to think of something that might represent the ideas i`m trying to evoke...Vibrant, modern, vivid, out of the box, different, rare...but it`s been a challenge.  Any thoughts on these would be helpful.
    Also, i don`t know how well any of these names go with the tagline i want to use, which is  You put it on. We pull it off. I`ve tried to think of something to fit that sort of theme, unfortunately there aren`t really many things that you either put on or pull off other than events and clothing. And i don`t really want to go that far by connecting my name to the idea of pulling off articles of clothing. The best i came up with was like Pencap Events. Which doesn`t sound fun at all. What else do you put on or pull off?
    I`ve tried a few of those...like Eventurous or eventures.  Those along with Vivent, evention, revents are all taken by other companies.
    Edged Events is kind of nice, but again...doesn`t really roll off the tongue easily.EdgEvent2/13/2008 12:48 PM
  • americanstripingamericanstriping subscriber Posts: 1
    I just jumped on here. But I`ve read some of this...I agree with DKing. I didn`t know what you did just seeing EDG. Now with Design...I thought web design. Is that accurate? Or is it event design only?
    I loved CraigL`s tag. It did 2 things. It says you`re an event planner. Also...if there`s a thought of "dirty"?...that`s a weird word...it`s mitigated...Craig`s tagline made me smile when I got to the "edgy" connotation.
    Next..I didn`t mean to be first with my company...it was an accident...my company`s name begins with A. You might let those other "edgys" go as a group. If their names all look alike, maybe their events all look alike. Is there a cool connotation that begins with A?