WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to accept wholesale orders

KateGKateG subscriber Posts: 12
Recently I`ve been calling numerous small cake stores to see if they would carry my products.  A number have requested samples and today one was ready to order some.  I was actually a bit taken aback, as I was expecting her to request samples.  So she asked how the ordering process worked and after she figured out that I was very new to the process, she helped me out quite a bit.  She explained that normally companies send a form for her to fill out with business name, address, phone number, etc.  Then they request a copy of their retailer`s license.  Then they request payment (via check, money order, paypal and/or credit card).  Then the order is shipped.
So this weekend I need to prepare that form and figure out how I`m going to accept wholesale orders. 
What information do you put on your wholesale forms?  Business name, address, phone number, fax, email, website?  Anything else?
How do you handle wholesale orders?  I was thinking about the possibility of setting up a page on my website (which the site would not directly link to, such that only people given the address would likely find it) that would take paypal/credit cards online.
As always, your advice is most appreciated!
Regards,
Kate www.shapeacake.com

Comments

• st8icst8ic subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    I just wanted to say congrats to you, Kate! Great to hear that your shape-a-cake thing is taking off for you.
    You can probably find a template wholesale agreement form online, or a credit application form.
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Hi there Kate and yes, CONGRADULATIONS!!  I have customers fill out my wholesale account form which does ask the basic questions you outlined.  Some stores have a credit sheet already filled out, and I accept that as well.  I just need their retail lic number and basic info.  For a  customer`s first 3 orders I do prepaid only, normally via credit card.  After that, then I will extend credit.  (Bigger chains don`t apply to this rule... can you imagine Walmart giving you a credit card number?!)  Then I try to make things as easy on my custom as possible.  Some just send me a an email  "Leslie, I need 3 more cases of the Steak Collection" , others fax or email a PO and some just pick up the phone and call me.  You`ll find your groove soon enough.  It`s not an exact science, so don`t be afraid, just go get those orders!  
  • KateGKateG subscriber Posts: 12
    Thank you much for your replies.  As per usual, good advice!

Kate
  • ChicLadyChicLady subscriber Posts: 4
    Congrats Kate!
    Great advice everyone... Where would you find a template?
    Robin, I didn`t end up finding a template.  I just made a word document with all the questions discussed here and with my company information at the top.

I had another question.  Maybe Leslie would know?  Now I need to calculate shipping for wholesale orders.  I have been using flat-rate USPS boxes for individual orders.  They were by far the most cost effective, as my products are heavy.  Typically I ship between 6-10 pounds in a flat-rate package for $9.60.  However, the largest flat-rate boxes are still quite small (12x12x5 inches), so I think for larger orders I should probably go with UPS.

So for anyone who`s done this before -- how to calculate shipping?  Do you take online orders with an instant calculator or do you calculate shipping after receiving the order?  Also, where do you get your boxes?

Thank you!

Kate
    Wow Robin.  That looks like a good form.  Thanks for posting it.

Kate
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    I use a fulfillment service, so thankfully this is one facet of the business I have outsourced, BUT I know A LOT of people use the USPS`s Click-N-Ship. 

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

But I`m going to email Janene (who owns my fulfillment center and whs) and ask her to chime in here as this is what she does.  Stay tuned
  • TrendingSolutionsTrendingSolutions subscriber Posts: 1

First of all, you may want to order her boxes through U-line. It is the easiest way rather than trying to negotiate with a local supplier right off the bat. They offer fast service and are reasonable, but to save on freight costs, you may also want to compare local suppliers.

I don`t know how your on-line order form is set-up, but there are some that you can sink up to UPS and/or USPS and you can add the weight of each product and it will automatically calculate for you based on the weight and the zip code that it is going to. You can also put in a % or a set amount to cover your handling fee.

If you don’t have this feature, than I would recommend doing a manual approach.  Take area codes throughout the country for a set weight.  Go into UPS and USPS website and take the average (or maybe a little higher) to come up with a set freight amount.  Knowing that you will make money on some and possibly lose money on other orders, but it should balance out.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks Janene and Leslie.  Janene, I thought there must be something like you mention where the shipping is automatically calculated on the ordering form.  It`d be nice to set that up.  Thanks for all of your thoughts!

Kate
    Thanks for the advice!  Good to know!

Kate