WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Moving a Business

KateGKateG subscriber Posts: 12
edited April 2008 in Selecting a Business
Hi All,

I`ve made what some may consider an odd (financial unadvantageous) decision.  I had my business idea, filed a provisional patent application on it and decided to start a business 4 months (now 3 months, thanks to delays) before I move rather than waiting until after the move.  The reason being that I really need to see what kind of commercial success I might be looking at before I`m faced with patent decisions once the provisional patent expires at the end of the year.

The consequences are that I had to get all of my approvals (LLC filings, business licenses, FDA approvals, etc.) in California, but now I`ll need to get them all again in Massachusetts.  I think that it makes sense to move the LLC (or form a new one) to MA, because otherwise I need to pay both the $800/year flat fee for the CA LLC and the $500/year flat fee for the MA foreign LLC instead of just paying the $500/year flat fee for the MA LLC.  (Of course there will be additional taxes on top of that.)

My question - how do I make this move seamless, such that I can be selling my product as soon as I move?  How do I apply for an LLC or any other business license in MA without even having a MA address?

Thank you for your replies! 
KateG4/7/2009 3:23 PM

Comments