WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Review of revised Shape-A-Cake clay website?

KateGKateG subscriber Posts: 12
edited March 2008 in Website Critique
I posted here before with my website and received some great comments.  Several people suggested changing the layout, and Craig suggested that I look into hiring someone.  I did, and he said that he`s provide essentially a sample page for my review.  If I liked it, I could hire him for the job.  If not, nothing would be owed.  He sent me the sample page last night.  (None of the links in the page work, as it`s just a sample.)  I would really appreciate comments.  My general impression is that it`s better than my page.  I`m not crazy about the color scheme, and I don`t like that it takes so long to load the header, when that`s where my logo is.  Please provide your reviews!

Old Website: www.shapeacakeclay.com
New Website Sample: www.web-face-lift.com

Thanks!

Kate

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member

Your header image is rather large, so it will be slow loading and use bandwidth; convert it to a gif.
    The page source shows a .wav file, I`m guessing to load automatically. I didn`t hear it, but its a bad idea to force music on viewers.
    Overall the design is nicer, but personally the pink menu is too strong, and the page font should be heavier to stand out more.

• KateGKateG subscriber Posts: 12
    Thank you all for your comments.  I think I will work with the designer to try to improve the site as noted.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    An improvement from the original site.

As noted above, the file size of the header image is way too large over 500kb. The three photos are also too large (over 120Kb each).

The XHTML and CSS validation links at the bottom of the page are of no value (the site does not validate nor is that an important factor for people looking for your product).

The phrase "shape a cake" is used 17 times on the page. Since it is also part of your domain name and in H1 H2 tags, and in the title, it really is overkill for search engine optimization.

The title tag is too long and the h1 and h2 tags use exteraneous words.

When considering what keywords/phrases to target, think about what words people would use to find your product. Would they search on "shape a cake" or "cake shapes" or "cake shaper"?

Sound: While playing a sound/music may be interesting, it is more user friendly to enable the viewer to turn on and off the sound.

~Roland