WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Pet Business, What can I do?

philscott35philscott35 subscriber Posts: 10
edited March 2007 in Business Planning
Ok so this is my story.
I am 20 years old and am a Full-Time business student at my local community college working part-time at the local grocery store. Everyday all I can think about how great it would be to have a home with extra land to build a dog breeding/training business. I`m to the point where I get depressed because I feel like this is my calling and this is what I would like to do with my life but it seems so un-attainable. I want to have a place like a farm but instead of a farm with cows and horses I want to have it for breeding and bringing/training dogs. I don`t know what kind of money is possible to be made through this type of career but I`m at the point where as long as I could afford a decent home and enjoy life I would be happy. How do I make this un-attainable dream attainable? PLEASE HELP ME!philscott352007-3-24 12:40:26

Comments

• RumpelstiltskinRumpelstiltskin subscriber Posts: 1
    Do you have any experience ?  If not, you should consider taking an "apprenticeship" position in this field. This way you will know (for certain) that this is your "calling". After all, you are still a young man, and there is no better teacher than experience. Additionally, this would give you a "leg-up" (pardon the pun), or inside look at the inner workings of the business.
    I give you a lot of "humanity points" for choosing such a career, as working with animals (in general) usually indicates a "good hearted" individual. My favorite dog is the "AKITA" (if I had to choose an alternate: A Labrador Retriever).
    Best wishes!
     Rumpelstiltskin2007-3-24 13:27:54
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    philscott35:
    I like your calling. Go for it. It will not happen overnight ... unless, of course, you win a big lottery or something. And even then, I believe you still have a lot of learning ahead of you.
    I suggest you read Napoleon Hill`s The Law of Success. Lesson Two is A Definite Chief Aim - You Can Do It If You Believe You Can! When you read the 2-volume set, you will see how the lessons all tie together to make your definite chief aim become a reality.
    You believe you have a calling. I believe you. 95% of the people of the world are drifting aimlessly through life, without the slightest conception of the work they are most fitted, and with no conception whatsoever of even the need of such a thing as a definite objective toward which to strive.
    You already have a good feeling and "calling" for your definite objective. Now, you need to learn all of the other lessons needed to complete your journey.
    You will if you  really want to.
    Best wishes for a successful journey. Keep us posted.
    R@
  • philscott35philscott35 subscriber Posts: 10
    Well I know this is for sure what I am going to pursue as a career. My problem is how do I get started? How do I jumpstart my career from where I am now (working at a grocery store), I have tried getting jobs at the pet stores in my area but they all are just in their startup phase and can`t hire anyone for help yet. I realize this stuff takes time but I want to get started now, I don`t want to wait until im in my late 20`s to start because I want to have as much time as possible to enjoy and experience the lifestyle.
    Can someone help me with a list of steps maybe that I could start off with, as long as I know what I have to do to get to that point I will do anything and everything possible to make sure that this gets started ASAP.
    Thanks everyone for your insight and help!
  • RumpelstiltskinRumpelstiltskin subscriber Posts: 1
    When I was younger, I would offer my services for free (usually a few days, or one week). This may seem a bit extreme to most - but it worked! (I was an animal -still am). If you are not hired using this technique?... well, I guess they don`t need anyone.
    It would not be a bad idea to offer "anytime hours". In other words, make it known that you are available for learning purposes (when you`re not working your regular days/hours).
    If you really want it - you`ll get it.
    Good luck!
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Can someone help me with a list of steps maybe that I could start off with, as long as I know what I have to do to get to that point I will do anything and everything possible to make sure that this gets started ASAP.
    philscott35:
    You`ve been given some great advice here in this post. You appear to be seeking a "silver bullet" - there isn`t one. You say you "will do anything and everything possible to make sure that this gets started ASAP" - you have already started!
    Patience and determination are all powerful. As Nike says, "Just do it!"
    R@
  • philscott35philscott35 subscriber Posts: 10
    Great information from you all, you have been really helpful. I know I have to be more patient and I need to finish up college before I can get where I want. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good dog training school in upstate New York that will train certified dog trainers. I`ve been looking all over but the closest one I found is in NYC and I`m afraid that is just too far from here at this point in time.Again thanks for the information and keep it coming PLEASE