WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Super Bowl Commercials Fan Club

RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
edited February 2007 in Marketing
Well, the annual festival of TV advertising is out of the gate... the Super Bowl commercials are starting to leak out onto the TV airwaves, and the hype is proportionate to the millions that will be spent to have those precious(?) 30 seconds all to yourself.Here`s a great site that is tracking the ad craze.I am looking forward to picking favorites on Monday (here)... anyone have any favorites from last year?

Comments

• RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    i, of course, loved the low-brow GoDaddy ads (starting from two years ago) but i think i liked it so much b/c of the media storm the spots created. those ads vaulted GoDaddy to the top of the heap in domain registration single handedly.As an aside, a non-Super Bowl commercial campaign that i LOVE is the Jimmy Dean series where it`s morning and the Dad is the sun... here`s a link to the series. the interesting thing to note here is how "frequency" as part of a long term campaign works. i enjoy seeing the new commercials in the series because i`ve become familiar with the characters and the sweetness and humor inolved. in essence, they`re developing a relationship with me by developing the personality of the characters (and the brand/product)... something for all of us to remember in our lower cost advertising/marketing initiatives.great execution + frequency + consistency = success?
  • rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    Chris -I loved that one with the cat too, I was on the floor!  Was that last year?  I can`t even remember now, the last few years have been pretty disappointing for me.  Kinda matched the games I guess.  hopefully we`ll have some creative ads this year...R-
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    I actually  love commercials ...  most of them are so awful that they`re actually a pleasure to watch. The superbowl ... I rarely watch television and  I tend to skip the sports. I watched the superbowl ... years ago ... when I was in a hospital bed recovering from an appendectomy. So in that case I was trapped!! I loved the last Jaguar campaign...and I really really really love that Chips Ahoy commercial where the girls at the party are going to eat the cookie, except he doesn`t realize it until the end. There used to be this yogurt commercial in Europe, with a Wizard and cows, I also liked that series. Not sure why.
    The beer commercial (thining its Coors, but that just goes to show how effective or rather ineffective the branding was) where the guy has the revolving wall to hide his beer - shows his friend the fridge and then PReSTO the wall revolves and turns into a breakfast nook...on the other side of the wall in the aprtment next door they guys are freakin out because "the magic fridge is back...!!!!!" AHHH took me right back to college...
    that was a great one!!!
    my favorite Super Bowl XL commercial BY FAR was...was the Budweiser clydsdale commercial. it always gets me choked up.here`s a link.the ambitious yearling reminds me of the entrepreneurs just getting started in our community and of the power of the thousands of others here in the forums that stand behind them, gently nudging them forward...rich
    Rich,
    I have to say that I am fascinated with and following the very creative approach that Frito-Lays took this year to produce an ad.... with the emerging "You Tube" phenomenon, they decided to see if consumers could produce some creative ads ... and they did. Will be interesing.
    R@R@, i totally agree. that`s a breakthrough idea (though we did explore it a little here in the forums when we were coming up with user generated taglines / ad copy for Levi`s, remember?it`s a fascinating time... along the lines of Time`s Man of The Year - You.
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Rich,
    Yes I do remember - I got so into it, I wrote text for a short commercial idea - that was fun.
    I think the Dorito and Levi ideas are something startups and entreprenuers without a lot of marketing funds should seriously consider. So much talent out there and like the folks who created and produced the fantastic Dorito ads, they are startups, too - waiting to be discovered. And many just want the opportunity to be recognized. Nothing says the Dorito/Frito Lays concept can not be implemented in small ways as well as big ones. Something to think about.
    R@
    totally agree. fyi, tomorrow the proposal goes in to Levi Strauss. let me know if you want to see a copy... all of this made possible through introduction by another amazing SUN member.
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Rich,
    Yes I would ... Thanks for the offer of a copy. Keep me posted. And thanks to Z, too.
    R@
  • 337design337design subscriber Posts: 3
    Just saw the this sundays Nationwide one with Kevin Federline... pretty funny.
    337design2007-2-2 2:54:17