WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Finding the Right Business to Start

WriterDudeWriterDude subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2013 in Selecting a Business
I have been an advertising writer for the past ten years and, although I
love what I do, I need to do something more meaningful with my life. The
trouble is, I`m not sure what my options are! I remember back in high
school we had to take a career aptitude test that asked all sorts of
questions then spit out the occupation(s) best suited to our interests and
aptitudes. Is there any sort of similar test for deciding the best business
for you to start?

Comments

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    WriterDude,
    Craig is on track. Before going in business, you need a Definiteness of Purpose, A Chief Aim. You won`t find your "options" until you sit down and find your purpose. Tests are fine and all, but I doubt there are many people out here who took one of these tests and now does what the test said they should be doing.
    What did you want to be when you grew up, back when you were a kid? Ask that question to folks in their 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s and see the answers you get. It is rare you run across anyone who ended up doing what they dreamed about doing as a kid. And this is OK. We find our places. The people who really find their places work at it and work at it hard.
    If you have not done so, read Napoleon Hill`s "The Law of Success in Sixteen Lessons." If you don`t want to go deep, read "Think and Grow Rich" by Hill - this is based on the larger Law of Success book.
    Owning your own business is not only about What You Do but How You Do It.  
    Keep us posted on your progress and Welcome to the SuN.
    R@keycon2007-1-7 20:48:9
  • Mash85Mash85 subscriber Posts: 0
    I think the best way is to look deep into what interest you and what's viable and feasable and then you have yourself a business.