WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Shabby but Crystal Clear

EllayEllay subscriber Posts: 6
edited January 2007 in Developing Your Invention
I am sure that when presenting a product for funding or any other reason, it has to be thoroughly explained so that the information gets across. However, how important is the overall look of the prototype. My project is shabby but crystal clear. I am desigining a board game and I hand made the cards and board and I was wondering if I should just get it professional  done to better present (although I do not have much money to do this with.)
Then there are manufacturers who have minimum orders of 500 or 1000 and I only want ONE prototype for show....any advice?

Comments

• MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    You`ll need to pay all tooling costs.  Whether the supplier gets that back through large orders or up front is up to you.  For prototypes I just offer to pay all tooling charges and only order 3 or 4 parts.  But then you have a production order supplier ready if/when you decide to move forward.  I do caution you though, tooling charges can be very expensive.  It really depends on the product.  Anywhere from $300 to $15,000 in my own experience.  I`m sure they can go even higher then that. 
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Ellay,
    Image is very important, even with a prototype ... but it does not have to cost you a lot of money. I believe Travis was speaking more about getting a first run of the product done. I read that you want to make a nice presentation to find funding and/or a game manufacturer partner.
    I believe you can find a local design house or marketing/graphic design house to help you. Most graphic designers will be able to take your handmade  "mockups" and turn them into beautiful presentation pieces. Remember, these people make high-end presentations all the time - this is what they do. The cost will depend on the time they spend on the project. You may even be able to find a shop that gets excited about your idea and be willing to help you get your prototype ready for presentation for a piece of the pie (sweat equity) - which is worth considering, in my humble opinion.
    The better the presentation (prototype) looks, the better your chances at gaining the serious attention of whomever you are presenting to. A shoddy presentation prototype could turn off their brains for acceptance of your idea. Set your standards high at all times and do not compromise - this is a reflection of you and your idea and what kind of partner you will be. You only get one chance at a first impression (but it this case, it does not have to cost you a lot of money).
    Hope this helps.
    R@