WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Employee theft

smartsitessmartsites subscriber Posts: 5
edited February 2007 in Selecting a Business
Hi,We own several mall kiosks in multiple malls and we are having a big employee theft problem I`m curious to see how others have handled this situation. We have thought about putting security cameras in all the kiosks but would like some other thoughts on what others have come up with. Thanks

Comments

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    A few questions.
    How long have you been in the mall kiosks business? What do you sell? What is your new employee orientation program? Do you discuss theft and consquences with new hires? Do you do background checks on employees? What are you paying employees? What type/kind of inventory checks do you have in place? End of day accountability records?
    Employee theft is an opportunity crime - eliminate opprotunity, eliminate theft. Checks and balances are needed. Accountability and consequences is what workers understand. Off the bat ... without more info ... security cameras are a band-aid ... seek the real problems and find real solutions.
    Just my thoughts.
    R@
  • CSPURGEONCSPURGEON subscriber Posts: 10
    I know in Indiana theft from an employer is a Felony. Using this as a police officer, many times it takes one individual to get caught, fired, and prosecuted to send a message to the rest of them that you will not tolerate such behavior. Also I would recomend charging them whenever possible. Many businesses do not do this and it creates problems for other businesses. If they do it once the will do it again! So you might have hired someone who was fired from another business for doing the same act. This way when another employer looks at their background they will see that they have a problem with walking off with things.
    That brings me to another point: Always do a thorough background check, including criminal, and financial. I know legally you will have to have them sign a waiver stating that you may do so upon offfering of employment. And the financial background will tell you if they are in a rut or not. Meaning: if I have alot of bills to pay and my friends will buy your product from me at half price if I steal it, this enables me to pay my bills or buy more things.
    Not sure if this helps you out or not. But if you have any questions about Loss Prevention I am more than willing to answer those for you.
    Chris
  • blackdeath020202blackdeath020202 subscriber Posts: 2
    at one of the stores hire a spy kind of person to work and get to know the people working there and see if he can find out who it is for u. maybe even a family member might want to be that person.

Hi,We own several mall kiosks in multiple malls and we are having a big employee theft problem I`m curious to see how others have handled this situation. We have thought about putting security cameras in all the kiosks but would like some other thoughts on what others have come up with. Thanks
  • freyresecuritygroupfreyresecuritygroup subscriber Posts: 1

Employee policies/procedures-employee signature required
    Background checks-looks for gaps in employment
    Accountability system-checks and balances-employee sales log.
    Video surveillance system
    Signage-reminds employees they are being watched!!
    Show the employees that you are aware of what is going on in the Kiosk.