WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website Perfection

stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
Given the fluid nature of the Internet

- is it better to publish a less than perfect page
now and begin getting customer feedback and hopefully sales

- or wait until the page is "perfect" before posting?

In this case I`m not talking about something with highly complex
functionality. I`m talking about a simple eCommerce site. The
bootstrapping entrepreneur part of me wants to get something out there
and see what happens. The perfectionist programmer part of me wants...
well we all know what he wants.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• bfleming98bfleming98 subscriber Posts: 0
    Steve,
    Here`s the magic formula:
    - Put something up on the web.  Chris is right, don`t worry about begin perfect because I can guarantee you it won`t be the first time.  Just do something!- Next buy some keywords from google at http://adwords.google.com</A>. You can actually buy some of their search traffic.  You can start with as little as $50.- As you buy a little traffic to your site, you`ll eventually make a sale.  Maybe it`s 1 in every 500 visitors.  Maybe 1 in a thousand.- It`s here that you want to "improve" your site.  You can begin to make small improvements to your site to get the conversion ratio looking better.  1 in 100 is really good.  Only make one change at a time and measure it.  If you make less sales, put it back to the way it was.  If you make more sales, keep the change.
    It`s just that easy!
    Hopefully this helps.

• iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I don`t think there is any page on my site I do not continually update and work with. I try to get a good look and feel. Then I work on the verbiage. A few days later I will re-write everything. Eventually I reach "Perfection".... Then I re-write again. All kidding aside, I would say I get a page about 70% perfect. Then I put it online. That`s when the re-write process begins.Others may know better, but I have heard, if you place a page online and never update it, search engine bots may mark you as old news. So the occasional update doesn`t seem to be a waste of time. It may help by getting attention from the bots.
  • BizAtTheBeachBizAtTheBeach subscriber Posts: 0
    Go for it!  Get something up that is presentable, and most importantly it will take a few weeks to start showing up in the search engines giving you time to improve your site.  I would wait until you have your site at an acceptable stage to you before you start buying keywords etc.  You want to be sure you can handle the business that may unexpectedly pick up.  Good luck Steve.
    Kevin
  • rocknroll333rocknroll333 subscriber Posts: 2
    Steve,
    Whats your main goal? To create a brand, or just sell merchandise? They require two different kinds of website development.
    If you are trying to create a brand, you need to design a killer logo, have company colors, your mission and what you want your site to tell your customers about your brand. Develop your sites look and feel to reflect your corporate brand which takes time, so by the time you do all of that your site should be close to perfect.
    If you just want to sell merchandise, you can throw up any old site and follow the advice of Bryan he is correct in the order of what you should do to develop your website.
    The positives to creating a branded website is that once you have a brand developed you can quickly move from your initial product to sell other things to your customers once they trust your brand.