WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Help me Name My Business

newkidnewkid subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2007 in Marketing
Hey all,Just joined the group and it`s good to find a bunch that shares the same passion for business as me.  I need help.  I`ve been having major brain drain trying to find a good name for my biz.  Everytime I thought I got a good but only to have second things after.  My biz is a IT consulting and professional company particulary in networking technologies and services.  I don`t want it to sound professional but yet catchy (but of course!).  I don`t want my company sound like "Geek Squad" or anything that may make my clients don`t think I`m serious.  I need a name that we can grow into and with a punch.   Any ideas? 
newkid2006-12-1 1:40:3

Comments

• newkidnewkid subscriber Posts: 1
    Sequoia Data System - no particularly reason but it has a good feel to it.Apex logic Networks I don`t want anything obvious since the name is likely to be taken.
  • StartupnationKBStartupnationKB subscriber Posts: 0
    How about:      IconTech Consulting Group

it`s a bit too hard to pronounce.  I prefer to keep it short and easy to remember and pronounce.
    it`s a bit too hard to pronounce.  I prefer to keep it short and easy to remember and pronounce.
    Ok....  I just thought it had a nice professional ring to it.  You can cut of the Group at the end to make it shorter.  Or IconTek Consulting.
    It also has some meaning behind it with the word `icon` in it.  Here is the definition of icon: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/icon</A>
    But obviously you don`t care for the name so....I`ll keep thinking of some other ones for you.
    -Kevin-

• FacerFacer subscriber Posts: 0
    I would use Cartess`s suggestion, but I would change them both to a "k", then (since Ikon is fitness company) do a doulbe "k" scheme:
    IkkonTekk
    Nobody will forget that.
    great feedbacks, keep them coming!!the reason i`m not excited about iconkktekk is for two reasons:1) I do a lot of cold calling and it`s deficult to pronunce over the phone2) The more complex a domain name is, the harder to remember for customers.I like the using names from a foreign language since domains are more likely to be available.Great feedbacks nevertheless.
  • BigTopBigTop subscriber Posts: 4
    I had a friend name his company "AS-AP" because beginning with "A" put him at the top of the  phone directory (that was many years ago).  I thought that was a stupid reason until  he told me one day he had made enough money to stop working and travel for 3 years.  My suggestion is to use something that is simple, short, and easy to remember.  When you are leaving voicemails for clients, you don`t want people to just delete the voicemail because they don`t understand your business name.  You want something that is catchy and interesting.I did a google on "business name generator", and after some digging came up with a "random name generator".  It might be useful:  http://noemata.net/nbng/Good luck!

BigTop2006-12-1 15:20:32
    I totally agree.With that said I would like to keep the first word no more than 2 syllables.  3 syllables is ok but it would be tough and becomes harder the longer the word.With that said, Ikon may not be bad afterall.  Your generator link led me to this site which is kind of neat.http://www.visualthesaurus.com/
    newkid2006-12-1 16:41:15

I would use Cartess`s suggestion, but I would change them both to a "k", then (since Ikon is fitness company) do a doulbe "k" scheme:
    IkkonTekk
    Nobody will forget that.

Oh no....That was Kevin`s idea. He gets all the credit
    I think his username is StartupnationKB
    But those extra K`s make it even sweeter...

Thanks Cartess!
    Although, it doesn`t look like he will use it.  Personally, I don`t think IconTek is hard to pronounce.  Its also pretty easy to remember because it has some meaning behind it.  But....he has to love the name to use it. 
    Keep thinking of those names.  He`ll know which one to use when he see`s it.  It will be like a light switch turned on inside his head.
    -Kevin-
    Brains,Perhaps, I picked the wrong handle for this forum.  I am not a high school student but an experienced network engineer with a business mind.  I started my consulting business serveral years ago on the side but now looking to go full time with a fresh corporate branding.  This is why I don`t want the typical geek names like "network-r-us".  I`m looking for a fresh name that can portrait a bigger than life image.  Rather than emphasizing on the geekness of technology, I want the more professional image of a service based IT company.  As you know, it`s the first impression that counts. 
  • brainsbrains subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Newkid,
    I have had a couple of days R&R to recover from foot in mouth disease. Again please accept, my appologies, it certainly reinforces the power of a first immpression.
    regards
    J

No problem, Brains.  Any feedback is better than none in my book and I`m really suprised at the how willing everyone wants to help here.CraigL, That is a typical approach and names based on that method have been picked many times over.My issue is trying to getting a decent name and a matching domain as close as possible.  Nowadays, it`s almost impossible to get a domain name of your choice but with some creativity they are still available.  I know I`ve been told not to spend so much time on the "name" but it`s something that is very important to me for some strange reasons.
    newkid2006-12-8 11:31:35
  • starpointestarpointe subscriber Posts: 2
    Tech-soundingNemoko SolutionsNemoko TechnologyNetek (or NetTek) SolutionsSystek SolutionsZemozo (my personal favorite of the moment)Visual type namesColdbrook TechnologyOakridge SolutionsSnapdragon SystemsBirchwood (Something)Not that these are awesome, I`m just trying to get some gears turning.  Ryanwww.starpointemarketing.comWeb Development, Hosting, and Marketing Consulting
  • Tangent1Tangent1 subscriber Posts: 0
    networking technologies and services

TechWorks
    Network Solutions
    IT Solutions
    ITworks

• Tangent1Tangent1 subscriber Posts: 0
    Fulcrum Networks (leverage point)
    Quantum IT consulting
    Concept Networks