WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Question about buying wholesale

imanewbieimanewbie subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Business Planning
Gosh, I hope this doesn`t sound like the most ridiculous question ever...I am new to all of this.  I am starting an online business to sell my art.  Here is my question.  Let`s say that one of my products is handpainted plates, or handpainted mirrors.  When I contact the plate or mirror wholesaler, are they expecting me to resell their plate or mirror as I purchased it from them or do they care that I am altering it with my work? 
It seems that some of the companies I am talking to want to make sure that there is not another similar company in my area selling their product (they do not want to have their current company compete with someone close by).  Would they prefer that I am changing their product, so that there is no exact competition?  Or do they not give a rat`s rearend what I do with their product as long as I pay my bills?  BTW... their name would no longer appear on the product I am reselling because I would need to repackage it after I apply my art.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Comments

• imanewbieimanewbie subscriber Posts: 1
    I just wanted to clarify something.  I would be buying wholesale from the manufacturer.  So, I am wondering what the manufacturer`s take on this would be.  I have not yet talked to an actual wholesaler.

• imanewbieimanewbie subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for your response.  That was certainly the answer I was hoping for.  When I started reading about needing a reseller`s license to buy wholesale, it occured to me that I am not reselling their product as I received it and I hoped that would not be an issue.
    Thanks again! 
  • LittleStampLittleStamp subscriber Posts: 0
    I believe you don`t need to worry about the wholesaler in terms of intended use.  They are in the business of selling you a product and what you do with those materials and supplies is your own choice.

Good Luck!
    Lee-Ann

http://www.littlestamp.com
  • KerryJSKerryJS subscriber Posts: 0
    imanewbie,
    Even if there is any concern from the manufacturer, use it to your advantage. If you let them know that you`re happy to put a small section on your site saying that you purchased the plates etc from them...you will allay their fears, and you may even be able to use the fact that you`ll mention them as your supplier as a negotiating tool for cheaper wholesale rates.