WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Printing DVD cases

KteaKtea subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Business Planning
I`m not sure I`m posting this in the right category, but here it goes:  I, in addition to my baby products, also am developing an educational video targeted towards basically anyone who works with infants.  My plan is to start selling the DVDs to hospital gift shops, local mom-and-pop baby boutiques, books stores, and to also sell them online.That said, I`m not sure I have enough money to do a full print/replication run in the hundreds at first, so I want to burn the DVD and do the printing onto the disc and DVD case at home.  Does anyone have any tips for this?   Should I just download a template and go from there, or is there somewhere online where I can just have them print the case cover?  I have looked at vistaprint, printsforless, and a few others, who don`t seem to have that option.

Comments

• Options
    ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    As for packaging, I suggest getting a plastic dvd box and a laser color printer and just run them off at home. It all depends on volume. If your only doing 100 a month, I`d burn them at home. One advantage of this is cost, because your inital run may be small the costs will be huge. Also if that product doesn`t take off your not stuck with a ton of inventory, trust me it sucks. My suggestion is make them at home until the sales can support themselves to be printed professionally.
  • Options
    omupasomupas subscriber Posts: 7
    I agree with Todd on this one, especially if your initial run is going to be minimal.  You can get DVD cases at very reasonable prices these days.  I purchase DVD cases here:
    http://www.shop4tech.com/item1245.html</A>
    You can get 100 cases for a quarter a piece and it has the front sleeve for your cover art.
    There are software program templates to print your covers.  Make sure you change your print margins and print in landscape to get the right size (you may have to play with the settings a little bit).  Like Todd said, hold off on professional printing until the sales can pay for the printing.  Worse case, have the sleeves printed and do the rest yourself initially to save some money.
  • Options
    KteaKtea subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you all so much, I will definitely look into these options.  I think I may go with doing it all myself, but I only have an inkjet printer, and for the cost of paper and ink, it seems I could have the sleeves prof. printed.  I think it was $60 for 100 at the site that was mentioned.Again, Thanks!  Now I have to get over my stage fright and get this thing filmed!
  • Options
    zenmanjohnzenmanjohn subscriber Posts: 0
    I use custom flix they burn the DVD print the cover and put it in a good
    case. Even a small order is not very expensive and the time it saves me is
    makes this option well worth it!

Remember, Time is Money!

John
  • Options
    TravisTravis subscriber Posts: 0
    I`d recommend Jewelboxing.  They are the best quality cases out there and loved by the design world.If you have the budget, you can pick up their Studio kit which includes a printer, cases, labels, ink, and everything else you need to make your first 100 dvd products.If you don`t need the printer and the additional products in that kit, you can get 100 premium labels and cases for $210.You can see some examples of other Jewelboxing designs here.
  • Options
    nickdnneynickdnney subscriber Posts: 0
    Try get quote from this site http://www.digiteksf.com/pricing/ that is also the same company where I asked for my business printing needs.
  • Options
    edward222edward222 subscriber Posts: 2
    I suggest to search in twitter... There lots of people who personally made cases, they are much more cheaper than companies .. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    A digital color copies of that DVD covers labels is good when it is done from quality printer just those provides digital format like this one http://www.digitekprinting.com/digital-color-copies