WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I need ideas

KMcHenryKMcHenry subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2007 in Public Relations
Hello everyone,
I`ve been lurking and reading for a while now and love that this community is truly helping each other.
We`ve recently launched www.MyOnlineMeals.com</A> offering meal plans, recipes, and organized shopping lists to subscribers for $4.95 a month.  We are certainly not the first to do this, but we hope to offer what others don`t by means of growing a community via message board.
Since our April 2007 launch we`ve had some good solid success, but we really want to kick it up.  We`ve recently launched an affiliate program of 50% commission and that too has added subscribers.
We would love any and all ideas on marketing our service. And how on earth do we get members to participate in the message board? It`s growing too slow.
Thanks,
KathyKMcHenry2007-6-13 19:3:14

Comments

• PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Kathy,
    Welcome to the community! Have you tried any initial, media relations efforts yet? You can really grow your business quickly by using the Power of PR (see all the PR articles on StartupNation and the various posts).
    If you create a list of appropriate media venues, develop some interesting story angles and contact press members directly, you may have a story written about your business that your target market will notice. Plus, if the story is written by a third-party, it will build credibility.
    If you get the power of the press to help you build awareness, you`ll definitely see an increase in site traffic!
    Hope this helps,
    Melanie
  • KMcHenryKMcHenry subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Melanie,
    Thanks for your response. We do have a publicist, but I`ve never been one to sit and wait for something to happen. I will check out the PR articles and get to work.
    Thanks again,
    Kathy
    Hi Craig,
    It`s been a long time since I`ve been fishing, but I love your analogy.  I`ll be working on our USP and getting it on our site.
    Thanks,
    Kathy
  • LisaLLisaL subscriber Posts: 0
    I`m a busy mom and I also like to cook. I`m probably who you`re targeting. In looking at your site, there are a couple things that I found lacking. First, I want to see a week`s menus right up front before I register. I need to know that the meals are doable for my skill level/time allowance. I also want to know if I can get recipes catering to my family`s preferences. For instance, my kids and husband don`t eat cheese, so lasagnas and mac and cheese are useless to me. If you`re trying to get your registered guests to the message board, how about asking a question along with the week`s menus? People (especially cooks) love to share their knowledge. It can be something as simple as a useful kitchen tip to something like, "what`s your fondest memory from your mom`s kitchen?" Really get them involved and the community will develop.I think you have a great idea and I think your subscription fee is reasonable. But I do think you have to give away a little more up front to whet their appetites .I hope that helps some. Good luck.Lisa
    LisaL2007-6-13 20:26:59
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi There,
    Craig, I love the fishing analogy too!
    Kathy, as you develop your USP and talk about all of the benefits you have to offer, have you thought about creating a free booklet on "simple recipes," "time savers in the kitchen," "5 tips to save money grocery shopping," etc. - You get the idea. 
    Perhaps you could offer this to people who take part in your online community or as a "thank you" gift for orders? You`ll be offering unique, free information that will help with word-of-mouth marketing.
    (Also, you may want to add a newsroom to your site so that media members can find the information they need quickly.)
    Melanie
    Thanks to all so far.
    Craig I love your ideas of the pantry database and cooking on a budget. We have a lot of ideas in the hopper and will add both to the list.
    Lisa and Melanie, you both make me rethink the set up of my web site.  Some things you mention are already there. We do offer a free weekly menu as a sample (requesting it allows me to capture your email address so I can add you to my follow-up) and have a media room there already (not much, but it`s there).
    Lisa a question of the week goes out with each menu with a link to the message board- great minds think alike  and unfortunately we are not set up for specific family requirements. It`s something we are looking at for the future.
    Melanie your ideas for free booklets are great, I`ll work on that this weekend.
    Great ideas as I knew there would be.
  • LisaLLisaL subscriber Posts: 0
    We do offer a free weekly menu as a sample (requesting it allows me to capture your email address so I can add you to my follow-up) . I saw that on your site. And I do understand that you want your prospects` information. However, as a prospect, you would lose me there. I think you need to offer up something even before asking for registration. What about testimonials? I want to know how this has helped simplify life for someone.Lisa
  • MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I love the idea.  I got the free menu.  Very cool!  I`d like it if you had the customer choose the meals for a week.  You provide the recipes and grocery list!  Even if only as an option.  Maybe some people don`t like to pick and would prefer it done for them.  As a foodie I really enjoy choosing what I will make.  Even better if I could choose by level of effort, culture, spice, etc. 

• MissHissyMissHissy subscriber Posts: 1
    Ok, here`s my thought process from visiting your site.
    1. I was really excited because that`s just what I need. Couldn`t wait to sign up.2. No sample menus on site so I felt kind of lost. I new what you do in a general way but no specifics.3. Clicked on "How it works". No help there either. No menus and even more important, it seems there`s no way of choosing what dishes you want to prepare that week.
  • jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    I went to the "message board" (which I think should be called a "forum") and couldn`t really read anything because I wasn`t registered, I don`t know If I want to register because I can`t read the posts. You should allow everyone to read and only registered memebers should be allowed to post. Hope this helps.