WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hundreds of hits, little sales

ChicLadyChicLady subscriber Posts: 4
edited May 2008 in Website Critique
   Hi everyone! I am new to this site, but I have gotten so much info. I recently launched my new product, Chic Peeks Adhesive Cleavage Covers on The Big Idea in February. I have had a ton of media and large retailers interested in my product, how can I improve my site?

www.ChicPeeks.com

I think I may have tunnel vision.

Thanks!

ChicLady5/22/2008 8:57 PM

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member

... I have had close to 10K visitors within the last 2.5 mos, but less than 100 sales... Can you guys tell me whats wrong?  
    Well, um,,,  Google peek cleavage, two words in your page title, and you will find your site is number four in the search results.  Now, look at the other sites above and below yours.  I don`t think that there`s 10K women visiting your page.
    I am not sure how or if you need to fix it.  Videography4/30/2008 12:59 AM
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member

Videography makes a good point about the search results, in that when your site comes up among the others, many searchers may think it`s another image/video site for checking out cleavage ( depending on the keywords used ), so many visitors may not be your target audience. However, "cleavage covers" has you ranked/listed with simaliar sites. I think the general subject ( cleavage ) is going to get you mistaken/non targeted visitors on a regular basis.
    I agree you can get rid of the splash page, it doesn`t add any value.
    And Craig makes a good point. I don`t mean this as sexist in any form, but as a guy, my thought is that low neck lines are designed to show off cleavage, so what is the main purpose of using a top that does that with something to cover up? Certain occasions when the outfit would work but descretion/modesty is needed? A new look? By explaining this to guys, you may increase your potential sales somewhat to men.
    And, I think the images showing how it is implemented should be shown from the beginning; get the "Easy to use" part in the potentials buyers mind right away.
    Your meta tags need a lot of work; better titles, descriptions, external css, and things in the right place. Definitely need SEO work. Granted this isn`t sales related, but would still be beneficial.

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    As has been pointed out, people may be finding your web site via search, but not really looking for your product (may be searching for something else).

It is important to really think about how to title each product, web page, links, and content so it appears in the search results of your targeted market. For example: you have a product named Manhattan Chic..  would someone search on those words? or can you add a word or two that makes the search more relevant?

Your Products page is called "products" - can you change that category name to a word or words that are more descriptive / relevant to your products?

On another note: I would suggest getting your own domain name. Some people may choose not to purchase from a site without a domain name because they may think it is a fly-by-night operation.

Also, the url switches from stores.chicpeeks to stores.homestead when I chick on "shop"...and then stays on that url when I visit other pages.

~Roland
    vwebworld4/30/2008 9:11 AM
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Robin, being successful in business is all about understanding the numbers and making them work in your favor. Because at the end of the day, marketing is nothing but a numbers game. And your numbers aren`t all that bad. A 1% conversion ratio, which is what you`re getting is about average. The trick is to move your numbers up to the next level. If you can increase your conversion ratio to 2%, you can double your sales. 3% triples your sales, and so on and so forth. For example, I have an overall conversion ratio of 8%, which is considered outstanding.

I took a quick peek at your site, and your copy is horrible. You should consider hiring a copywriter to fix your copy and make it more compelling. You have to give people a reason to buy your product. Like I said, I just took a quick peek, because I was pressed for time. But your weak and uninspiring copy is what I noticed first.

Besides fixing your copy, there are other things that you can improve as well. Read my article 10 Ways to Instantly Improve Your Conversion Ratio: http://www.startupnation.com/forums/5760/1/1

Dale King
    DKing4/30/2008 10:48 AM
  • ChicLadyChicLady subscriber Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone. I have very limited knowledge of the terminology, so I feel quite overwhelmed. Gotta do some research...

Thanks again...

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    No one wants to overwhelm you, just bring up areas that we feel will be beneficial for you to think about and be aware of. We`re just here to help.
    Thanks so much! Does anyone know of a company or contractor that I can hire to help me with these changes?

Thanks!
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

Thanks so much! Does anyone know of a company or contractor that I can hire to help me with these changes? Thanks!
       I`m retired, and no longer available for hire. But I can recommend someone to help you with your copywriting: http://annemoss.com/ Dale KingDKing4/30/2008 4:59 PM
  • besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Congratulations on being on the Big Idea and gaining the interest of the retail stores! I do hope that with all the information you have received thus far you will be able to see a difference in your on line sales. Wishing you greater success!!!!!
  • minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
    Hi Robin,

I saw you on The Big Idea!  How cool.  I would love to hear about that experience sometime.  I looked at your site and I agree with some of the suggestions here so far.  The first page has too much text and it would be great to see some before and after shots on the front page.  I think that one of the toughest barriers you have is that some women (at least I do) equate the old-timey dickies with their Grandma.  So, I would make sure that the photos you use accurately show your target audience in youthful clothes.  Try some before and after photos of smiling girls using your products.  Let everyone see their faces so they can see how happy your product makes them.

I have a dress that could use your product but when I looked at your website I wasn`t sure which one would be appropriate.  You may want to try some photos where you show the same person in the same dress with each of the different items to give shoppers a feel for the different looks.  I know you have that now but your shirts are different in each photo.

One product suggestion I would have is to offer a package with one of each style of Chic Peek in a specific color to give women different options for dressing their clothes up or down.

Good luck!  I think you have a great idea.

Tracy
  • KathartisKathartis subscriber Posts: 1
    Robin-

This is the kind of product that begs for a video on your home page (btw kill your splash page, it doesn`t do anything for your site).  I`d like to see some before and after shots of smiling pretty women in the kind of clothing that could use this product. You know those wrap dresses you keep mentioning, not a cowl which isn`t showing much to begin with. Slide show these pics with some of your better sales points. Put your how to in the slideshow too!

Have a copy person look at your text, it`s not selling me and I like your product! It`s too hard to buy your product, I want it large and obvious on your home page.  Have a feature item on the home page and option to browse.

To Tippie`s quote: "Women that buy low cleavage tops buy those tops because they wish to show their cleavage! They wish to show their boob jobs or natural beautiful breasts to the world!"
    Partially true partially not.  I personally don`t mind having some cleavage exposed when I`m with my friends or my husband.  Around my older co-workers/boss not so much. 

Robin I think your sales copy is missing your biggest sales point, this product makes many work in-appropriate tops and dresses work friendly. You are essentially expanding a woman`s work clothes with a low cost product! Another point I feel your missing, when I`m shopping for clothes sometimes I love a top, but don`t buy it because I know I`ll have to wear a tank top under it which doesn`t look right. What if I knew any top could instantly work? I could take one of your products in the store to try tops on with! It would fit in my purse right?

Couple of people mentioned this, but it`s not a dickie. Many women in your target demographic may not know what a dickie even is. If they do they think of their grandmothers, not a chic useful product.

Change MYSS to about us or something similar.

Has the adhesive been tested against several fabrics to avoid damage and discoloration? Where is your documentation for this?

Hope this helps,
    Katharine
  • BillMBillM subscriber Posts: 0
    I do some copywriting and we see this all the time. People write to fill space instead of writing to accomplish an objective. Everything I`ve read here has been right on. In that first page (after you lose the splash page) you should be hitting your strongest selling points before any scroll- any scroll at all.
    You`ve got a real advantage in that you have a single, clear in concept, focused product. Now all you have to do is sell it. You should have everything you need to sell these right on the first page (I`ll allow a bit of scrolling). The rest of the site might be useful for SEO, but for a product that is so immediately understandable, one page should do most of your selling.
    Bill M
    www.william.morrison.name
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    Women that buy low cleavage tops buy those tops because they wish to show their cleavage! They wish to show their boob jobs or natural beautiful breasts to the world! lol. 
    That is why designers make/ and sell them in the first place! They are NOT created by accident
    Dang, how snarky can you get? I suppose you have to expect it in a public place but startup nation is usually a friendly civil place.
    Sometimes, you like everything about a top or dress except that they`re too low cut for your figure (or your age or the occasion etc). I`ve passed on a lot of styles because of it.
    Robin, really, reconfigure the site, ditch the splash page. Work the design and copy. Maybe you could work with some fashion bloggers to promote your product? There`s a whole bunch of fashion blogs listed over at coutorture.com/c/network
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    The first "enter" page is unneeded.  Those sort of landing pages for e-commerce tends to annoy people.
    Agreed.  The only time you need a page like this is if you are offering a Flash and HTML version of your site.
    That said.  I would seriously consider a re-design of the site.  If you`re trying to target the big companies you have to make it Look amazing.  The links at the top of the page are not very intuitive.  People who come to your site need to practically be spoon fed on where to go.  For example, the `MYSS` link.  No one knows just by looking at it that it`s an `About us` page.  If people don`t understand your site or don`t get the W`s (Who, what, where, why, etc) quickly they`re going to leave very quickly.
    ::edit::
    If you want to get a feel for the average person who will connect to your site, read this:
    http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_web.shtmlsddreamweavers5/22/2008 8:49 PM
    Thanks everyone!!
    Well, I am working on it and have hired a few professionals. Hopefully within the next few weeks I should be complete and ready for round 2...
    You all have been so honest and have given me much-needed constructive criticism.

Thanks again!