WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

The real Web 2.0?

olegoleg subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member

If the proverbial genie gave Internet users three wishes for an improved network what would they ask for? Peace of mind about secure financial transactions? Protection from hackers? Inventive new applications that improve the quality of life?
With support from the National Science Foundation (NSF), researchers are working together to design a bold new research platform called GENI, the Global Environment for Network Innovations. As envisioned, GENI will allow researchers throughout the country to build and experiment with completely new and different designs and capabilities that will inform the creation of a 21st Century Internet.
http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=109589</A>
More info:
http://www.geni.net/index.php</A>

What are everyones thoughts on this?  Will this project really become "the internet of the future?oleg2007-5-29 13:0:25

Comments

• Options
    pkammpkamm subscriber Posts: 2
    I speak from my educational bent. I`ve always been a big fan of leveraging technology for education. I work at a university that seems to be slow at realizing the huge potential of this opportunity. Some folks are slower than others. And, some folks just blather on and on, thinking that if they`re in the environment of innovation, they must be apart of it. I am well-steeped in technology. I know it well. What I am learning now is the importance of pedagogy. The best technology, mis-applied, is more destructive than no technology at all. Educators and innovators who apply technology without an essential understanding of the underlying problem are simply moving weighty mounds from one place to another. No value is realized.I love innovation. But never for innovation`s sake alone. We must do something with it. Web 2.0, or 3.0 is great for sound bites. But what does it mean on a visceral level? The real web 2.0 is about realizing that there is no real web 2.0. But rather, it`s about creating a truly useful online environment for the things we want and need to do with our current technology.My $0.02-Patrick