WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Trade Associations

woodsy424woodsy424 subscriber Posts: 3
edited March 2007 in Business Planning
Hello all,
     I have been working on my business plan and when it comes to researching the market, I have hit a road block.  I was told one place to start is to look up the Standard Industrial Code for the business I am going into, which I have done.  The next step, I was told, is to research Trade Associations which provide information on the market.  So far, all I have come up with are rather detailed and rather expensive online articles (to the tune of $300 or more.)  Of course I want as much information as I can get, but is it necessary to spend this much for the information I am looking for?  Does anyone know of better sites that may offer a cheaper or possibly free sample of information for the market I am researching?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks all.

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    It takes alot of searching to find what you need at no cost. Are there any associations locally or companies that are in the same market that could lead you in the right direction. We work with a partner at a place that helps companies do this such thing as well as a strategic plan, exit strategy etc... his fee is 9500.00 and it is well worth it. Ask folks who are in your trade for a point in the right direction. without knowing what you do, it is hard to help you search.
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Woodsy,
    What industry are you seeking info on? Most industries have several trade publications that can be a big help and trade pubs are easy to get and read.
    Need more info from you before we can help.
    R@
  • woodsy424woodsy424 subscriber Posts: 3
    I`m sorry....I guess I wasn`t thinking and should have been more specific.  I am looking to get into the coffee retail business.  Basically, I am attempting to open a coffee house/sandwich shop and I am trying to find as much info as I can.  Any further suggestions?
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I know someone who has been hugely successful in the coffee shop and organic roasting buisness. If you would like his info please message me through SUN, i am sure he would lend his expertise.
    Erin
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    While I don`t know what reports you are referring to or what they contain, spending $300 or even $3,000 would probably be worth it if the reports kept you from making costly mistakes.  I find this same thing with people who seemingly don`t have the money to hire an attorney, yet seemingly do have the money to make a mistake and incur the liability.  Just a thought.
  • Wirehead321Wirehead321 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I understand what you are looking for. I did my research for my business using three free good sources.Kaffumangroup, SBA, and the US. Commerce Dept. I have found ways to get grants for my business.That was the best part. Now I work with group finding grants for their business. So try that first.Also go to entreprenuerweekusa.com they have great information.