WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What kind of business should I do?

justinboyd101justinboyd101 subscriber Posts: 11
edited January 2009 in Selecting a Business
A friend and myself are opening a retail store and right now we`re trying to figure out if we want it to be a general partnership, limited partnership or an LLC. We plan on having investors so we don`t know if we need to be an LLC? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    toss a coin between an LLC and S-corp (can have investors in both).  DO NOT get into a partnership !
  • Options
    I was thinking about S-corp but I`m afraid I`ll be bought out. Why shouldn`t I do a partnership?
  • Options
    bought out? keep the majority stake to your name...how will you be bought out w/o your will? in my opinion and experiences partnerships are usually asking for trouble. "grayer" liability rules....lot`s of hassle and disputes. i have seen 8 of 10 fail personally... 
  • Options
    Yes. We`re going to have investors for the large majority of what we need, which is around $75k-$100k.
  • Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I was thinking about S-corp but I`m afraid I`ll be bought out. Why shouldn`t I do a partnership?
    You can only be bought out if you AGREE to a price. You also have to keep a majority stake in the company to keep a controlling interest.
    Like the others have said, a partnership means unlimited liability for the partners. You can be sued personally, and any debts you owe for the business must be paid back by you, even if you go out of business.
    LLC and S-Corp are your best bets. The only real difference between the two is that with the S-Corp, the actual distributions must be given equally to shareholders (depending on how much shares each shareholder owns, of course) whereas with an LLC you are given a lot more flexibility to distribute profits any way you want.
    For example, say you own 60% of the company and the other owner owns 40%. If you are an S-Corp, for any distributions that are paid, you MUST be paid 60% and the other owner is paid 40%. An LLC allows a lot more flexibility to the owners over what percentage is paid to each.
    There is a way to get around this with an S-Corp though. Distributions have to be derived from % ownership, but the salary paid to each owner can be different.
  • Options
    and for the hundreds of other smaller "andersens" around the country who we do not hear about.  today they are there, tomorrow they are gone