WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Your help, Please- seriously

Mark51DetroitMark51Detroit subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2007 in Selecting a Business
Hello all.
I`m a 53 year old Michigan guy who was just laid-off again - from Chrysler this time-Ford 2 years ago.  I need a business idea that works- I don`t think at 53 I can find another job in this economy- I have to stay in Southeast Michigan-elderly parents to care for and this is home.
I have a 13 year old son with a form of Autism-Asperger`s it is called and don`t think he will be able to finish high school or work for a main-stream company.  I`d like a business that we could both do.  ***Experts and others- please share your best idea`s- I have thought about a small business for a few years and nothing seems to have potential for success that I have thought of myself.  Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    floraandfaunafloraandfauna subscriber Posts: 3
    What did you do for Chrysler and Ford, is there something you learned there that you could branch out on? Do you want to provide a service or good? Good luck and happy holidays!Christinewww.floraandfaunapress.comfloraandfauna12/18/2007 6:41 PM
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply.  I was a Meetings and Event Planner- business is getting smaller here and the number of people needed to operate business here is shrinking fast.  I`m thinking of something completely different- that would have a market outside as well as in Michigan- an E-bay seller?...it has been done I`m afraid.  Tons of people are starting handyman and lawn-care businesses.  Many are fully retired with pensions, IRA,s, health care, etc.  I have no backing.
  • Options
    Thank you-Stan and CraigL. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    stevedsteved subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello All,
    I to understand where Mark is coming from. I have worked in the I.T. industry since 1985. I have been laid-off from many positions and at times do not know how long a job or contract will last.(even if my level of work effort was very high). 
    Over the last few years I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet, reading books and and asking people(especially on this site), what type of busines should I start.  Many times, I was also told to find my passion. Not the most easiest thing to do. Sitting down and taking an inventory of all the jobs I have worked on in the past, along with the what I have learned on each job has helped me narrow down the type of business I want to pursue.

I have decided to start business doing  home inventory for home owners. It involves technology, and organization skills.  I did  want to ask if anyone has any knowledge or can point me inthe right direction, to take classes and attend various seminars.

Thanks
  • Options
    LiveWiseLiveWise subscriber Posts: 5
    I appreciate you concern for your son.  Several of the people I work with through BookWise have children that they worry about the ability of the child to be able to provide for themself in the future.  One has Tourette`s Syndrome (teenager), the other has Down`s Syndrome (age 23ish).  These are incredible individuals that will never have the abilities that are deemed necessary in today`s society.  The reason they are in BookWise is because of the benefits of being able to make money by having people buy from their on-line bookstore franchise.  (This is something the girl with down`s syndrome can do.  She just asks people to buy their books, CDs, DVDs, and video games from her site.)  Then she, just like the rest of us, do nothing else and get 40% of the profits.  BookWise handles all the rest.  Over the next few months, more and more products will be added until there are over 4.8 million products covering 1.5 million titles.  (Some titles will have a paperback, hardback book, audio book, and DVD.  This is one title, but 4 products)  There are a few glitches with the website that are being worked out, but it`s only been up a couple of weeks and things just keep getting better.

This is something anybody can try out for a year and everybody in BookWise even gets a one year 100% money back guarantee.  If in one year, a person`s life isn`t better, then they can ask for 100% of my monthly fees back and  get to keep everything that they`ve recieved.  (Free books, CDs, DVDs, etc.)  In addition, there is free coaching (via teleconference calls, webcasts, and recorded archives) from some of the greatest minds like Robert G. Allen, Richard Paul Evans, Mark Victor Hansen, etc.  All of this, plus much more, for only $39.95 a month.

The money doesn`t come fast, but it does come.  You probably won`t be making thousands of dollars the first few months and maybe not even after a year.  Worst case scenario, after one-year, you`ve been taught by top business professionals, got a lot of FREE stuff, and 100% of your monthly fees back.  One other big bonus, I didn`t have to spend the time to create the franchise or a website, I don`t have to do any of the customer service because BookWise does all of that, and I didn`t have to fork out $20K-$50K to start it up.  Oh, and it`s something that I won`t lose unless I choose to give it up.  I can even leave it in my will to my child or a charity/organization.  Each member of my family has our own website and some of my friends do too.  It`s not for everybody because not everybody wants to be in business for themselves--some are just happy to work for somebody and get a paycheck.

Check out my website.  If it doesn`t interest you to own this type of business, then don`t do it.  But I really do think that you need to take a serious look at the ease, convenience of being web-based, having HUGE inventories without needing an office/store, not having to keep store hours, not having to do any shipping, and that BookWise will last not only your life time, but also for your son`s life time too.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Natalie

www.MyBookWise.com/LiveWise

LiveWise12/20/2007 1:55 AM
  • Options
    BrikesjBrikesj subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Dear,
      If you don`t have money to do a buisness your self.I suggest you go for a loan from the loan comany i applied.I applied for $1,000,000 from them.
      So try and own your own biusness like me.You can contact him via(zenith.lenders@yahoo.co.uk)
    Thanks
    Merry Xmas To You
  • Options
    DBeaversDBeavers subscriber Posts: 0
    Mark,
    As a meeting and event planner, I feel certain you had some involvement in utilizing promotional advertising products for at least some of the events.  Would you have any interest in being the person that buyers call to order those kind of products.
    Promotional advertising sales works great as a home-based business, leaving you in control of your priorities and scheduling.  And, with the volume being ordered via the internet, you could target both online and off line buyers. 
    I started my promotional advertising business back in `84 when the products were more commonly called advertising specialties.  I turned in my military uniforms for civvies in `86 and after a 6-month period with Boeing here in Louisiana, I went full-time in July `87.  The local economy was lousy back then, as it was dominated by the oil-field which had suffered a major downturn.  My timing wasn`t great, but we survived and are thankful that I made the transition 20 years ago.
    My wife works in the home office, while I focus on the outside sales and marketing. For years virtually 100% of my sales were face-to-face, with the exception of the occasional re-order handled by phone.  Then I expanded online nearly a decade ago, and the business has really diversified in the range of business, industry, and government buyers I serve.
    If this business doesn`t interest you, at least maybe it will give you an idea for some other business you could start.
    Dennis
  • Options
    powerteamgreenpowerteamgreen subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Mark,
    I do understand where you are.
    We have a few income streams in place.
    Some very fun and others extremely rewarding.
    I think the one that is making such a difference is

www.u1stfinancial.com

check out the 15 minute video.
    Kathy
    281 770-4916

marshallac@sbcglobal.net

• Options
    I nedd a viable business idea from stratch was my hope.  I
  • Options
    RiverspiritRiverspirit subscriber Posts: 1
    Hello all.
    I`m a 53 year old Michigan guy who was just laid-off again - from Chrysler this time-Ford 2 years ago.  I need a business idea that works- I don`t think at 53 I can find another job in this economy- I have to stay in Southeast Michigan-elderly parents to care for and this is home.
    I have a 13 year old son with a form of Autism-Asperger`s it is called and don`t think he will be able to finish high school or work for a main-stream company.  I`d like a business that we could both do.  ***Experts and others- please share your best idea`s- I have thought about a small business for a few years and nothing seems to have potential for success that I have thought of myself.  Thanks!!!

I`ve worked as a subsitute teaching with children with autism, and have met a few with Asperger`s. They are brilliant children and usually have one thing that they excel in and are very talented in. Is there something that your son can do or is interested in that you could turn into a business. This would be a wonderful opportunity since you want to have him work the business with you.

Just a thought,
    Julia
    Riverspirit12/30/2007 7:05 PM
  • Options
    jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Start a contractor referral service. It`s easy, cheap, and can be very lucrative. Just don`t purchase one of those franchises or kits, not that they`re not great, it`s just that you don`t need to. Browse the net and you will find everything you need to get started.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply- I`ll look into it.