WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hello From Michigan

RiverspiritRiverspirit subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2008 in New Member Welcome
Hi, my name is Julia, and I just joined this forum.  About 3-4 months ago I began to learn about internet marketing so I could strive for financial freedom.  As I became consumed in affiliate marketing (unsuccessfully), I grew further from my true goal which is to write and help women who have struggled in life as I had. I stopped two weeks ago to take a break, re-access my goals, and start building my dream in January.

I realized I don`t really have a plan and found myself getting stuck when it came to developing a plan. I found this site and forum with a lot of useful info on developing a life plan as well as a business plan, so I decided to join. I hope to learn a lot from being here and hopefully help others also.

Comments

• kevinzhangkevinzhang subscriber Posts: 6
    Hi Julia, welcome to startupnation, enjoy here.
  • RiverspiritRiverspirit subscriber Posts: 1
    Welcome Julia!
    Where are you going to take this goal of yours next?

First I`m going to create my life plan, and then intregrate it into a business plan. The problem I`ve had in the past, and over the last few months is jumping in head first without writing down goals first.  Right now I just have ideas about what I would like to do, but I`m scattered and to be honest, have no idea what I`m doing.

That`s why I joined this forum. I`ve printed out the life plan and business plan and will start there.  I get a little stuck when attempting to build my website due to not having direction but also because I am hesitate to promote products, which is silly because if I don`t have something for people to buy, I can`t eventually have my own business where I`m financially free. I think I get stuck because perhaps I see others as me, someone who can`t afford to buy things, and I don`t want to be pushy.

The last three months have been a great learning experience. I`ve realized a few areas in my life that definitely need improving in order for me to succeed. Knowing where I`m taking my goals next being the top order of business. Believing in myself and seeing myself making money are other things that I need to work on.

The website I`m working on (hasn`t been made public yet) is thoughtsnfeelings.com.  I got it a month or so ago, with my husband. He was going to use it to have a recovery site for alcoholics. Only he`s not interested in it anymore and enrolled in school instead. So I have a website package that includes a forum, chat room, a store, and lots of other cool stuff. I figured thoughtnfeelings would work for my site for women since it`s our thoughts and feelings that can prevent us from fulfilling our dreams in life. That`s about as far as I`ve gotten so far.

Julia
    Hi Julia,
    Welcome to SuN!
    What are your dreams?
    Andrew

I`ve always dreamed of having my own business. I imagine myself writing books, doing workshops, and helping people move past limitations in life to have their dreams become reality. I dream of not having to work outside the home, and travelling. I dream of some day having a horse and riding through the moutains.  I dream of growing more spiritually and reaching enlightment.

I used to dream about finding my storybook romance, only that dream came true for me two years ago. I was always told that was impossible, because it`s never like it is in fairy tales. But I held on to that dream, and it did happen. We have challenges as does all fairy tales, but it is as I dreamed of.

So I hold on to the other dreams and am working on making them reality also.

• GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Wow Julia! GREAT to have you on the board!!  Welcome!
    Julia,
    I love your dreams!
    Now we just want to add some timescales, don`t we?
    Andrew

Ah, something else I need improving. And I think setting reasonable timescales is important. I used to set pretty unreasonable ones, and failed miserable. Then I just didn`t set any. And of course the dreams remained just dreams.

My husband is in a business class and gave me a copy of a goal setting sheet he has to work on. This will help me set more realistic goals for myself. This week I will work on my life plan that I got from this site. Hopefully doing that I will have more direction to begin my business plan.

I won`t be doing a lot between Christmas and New Year`s, although I can set some short term goals for starting in January.

Thanks for the thought provoking questions. This helps a lot.
    Julia
    I was playing around searching google to see if my website came up and when I entered it in, my post from this forum showed up.  That`s pretty cool.  I decided to throw out the idea of starting a business.  I thought building a business meant my goal was to make money.  So I focused on just creating a website centered around my journey through life, with my goal being to help others through experience, strength and hope.  Over the last week, I realized what I`m building is a more of a non-profit organization.

I owe a lot to Start up Nation because it was through these forums that I found what I`m really passionate about and am turning that into reality.

So thanks everyone for all your in put and questions that helped me figure things out.

Julia

• RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    this is cool news, julia. congrats on landing on a specific direction on how best to manifest and serve your passion.

just curious, where, other than StartupNation will you reach out to find out how to be an effective non-profit entrepreneur. i`m considering adding step-by-step advice here at the site on EXACTLY that subject. bringing the disciplines of successful entrepreneurs to 501(c)3 non-profits, it seems, would be extremely valuable.

rich

this is cool news, julia. congrats on landing on a specific direction on how best to manifest and serve your passion. just curious, where, other than StartupNation will you reach out to find out how to be an effective non-profit entrepreneur. i`m considering adding step-by-step advice here at the site on EXACTLY that subject. bringing the disciplines of successful entrepreneurs to 501(c)3 non-profits, it seems, would be extremely valuable. rich
     The step by step advice sounds great.  I haven`t considered yet on how to do this effectively.  I had stated on my website that it was a non-profit organization, but then I changed "organization" to "website" because I realized there may be certain protocol in setting up an organization.  When I started this whole thing, I was scared out of my mind, I`m new to internet technology, and doubted my capability. So it was important that I just begin building it and getting it published.  Then I would work out the schematics of turning it into some sort of business. So it started out as a personal website about a month ago, and now that I`m gaining more confidence, and learning to create better pages, it seems I have the basis for developing  a non-profit organization.  It`s still not fully developed, but I`m working on it. I`m a little clueless on the business aspect of things.  But I love what I`m doing as far as reaching out to others, so learning more on how to set things up as an organization would be a good idea. So far aside from family and friends, the only ones that have posted in my forum have been spammers.  Unfortuneate, but I guess it goes with the territory. It will probably take awhile for strangers to realize I`m not out to scam them and begin to trust what my site is about.  That`s partly why I started thinking of turning it into an organization.  I look forward to learning from your step by step advice on this matter. Julia