WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

web site forms

judjahjudjah subscriber Posts: 4
Hi,
Hoping someone knows how to write forms for a web site.  I`m needing an input form (asking for name, e-mail address), with a submit button (with information going to my e-mail address).  Tried following instructions from the web using HTML, but when using, a warning pops up saying "...will send the form data without encrypting it for privacy".  I`m sure this will turn people away from sending form.
If anyone knows the code for the form I`m attempting, or knows a web site I could turn to for advice, please let me know.
This problem is for my site,
www.shnoozles.com</A>
Thanks,
Eileen

Comments

• yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    Eileen,If that`s all you need a simple CGI script can handle that. It`s really extremely easy to do. You need to create three simple files:1. The CGI script which you can do in a program as simple as Notepad2. The webpage with the form. This can be a regular page done in HTML but the page has to "talk" to the script.3. The confirmation or thank you page i.e. where you want to send visitors who complete the form.What should be the contents of the above? Well, you can do a search on your favourite search engine for "CGI form sample" or something like that and you are sure to find one.Good luck,Aleem
  • judjahjudjah subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi Aleem,
    Thanks for your reply.  I will search for CGI form info on the web.
    Eileen 
  • RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    Hoping someone knows how to write forms for a web site.  I`m needing an input form (asking for name, e-mail address), with a submit button (with information going to my e-mail address).  Tried following instructions from the web using HTML, but when using, a warning pops up saying "...will send the form data without encrypting it for privacy".  I`m sure this will turn people away from sending form.
    If anyone knows the code for the form I`m attempting, or knows a web site I could turn to for advice, please let me know.This doesn`t sound like a problem with your form processing or something that can be fixed by using a different script. Can you send me the URL for the form?   Rich
    Hi Rich,
    The URL for the form was:
    http://www.shnoozles.com/ContestPage.htm</A>
    I changed this page back to a request for information via e-mail.  I got so confused and just couldn`t figure it out.  I couldn`t leave the page out there until I fixed it.  All I want is a contest each month, in which I would need to collect my customers` full name and valid e-mail address.  I was hoping to do this through a simple form that had "name" and  "e-mail" input fields and a submit button. I work in Flash, Dreamweaver and Illustrator. If you still think you can help in any way, please let me know.
    Thanks for your time,
    Eileen
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Judjah,I took a look at your page but couldn`t see what you were talking about because you took your form down. Judjah,There are many ways of you creating a form without having that script popping up. First of all let me ask you something what hosting service are you with? If you are with godaddy or Aplus.net, this is common with their servers. If you are using another web hosting service, then it has to be in your script. What type of Script are you using? At one point in time CGI was the proper way to go, but due to the nature of the Internet and how its been changing over the years, CGI form scripts are no longer being accepted by many hosting companys. The reason for that is because of SPAMMERS. and Data Farming software used to extract the email addresses from the forms. So now alot of web hosting company`s are switching to email authentication scripts. If you are currently being hosted on a Linux Server you can use this simple script to make your form work.
    <?    $to = your_email_Address@yourdomainname.com</A>;   $msg = "$name

";   $msg .= "$message

";
      mail($to, $subject, $msg, "From: $email
    Reply-To: $email
    ");
    ?>Here is what you need to do.1. Create a blank page in your web site`s root folder and name it "formaction.php"2. delete all the HTML headers from the formaction.php and copy the code to that page. That is the only thing that should be there. Nothing else. 3. Create your form where you want it to be and on your form action do the following. <form name="form1" method="post" action="formaction.php">Make sure you point your form action to the correct page. 4. Make sure you upload your pages to your server...
    -If you are hosting on a Windows server, then email me and I will send you the form and script that you need to use for your forms to work using the Server instead of a CGI Script. The form above can be configured more in detail if you understand php and the code. If you want me to configure the form for you more in detail... let me know and I can help you. By using this approach you are using an server side authentication instead of simple CGI form.
    Hi Edgar,
    You are right. I took down the form I attempted because I couldn`t leave anything on my site that didn`t work.  I put in its place, my e-mail address for customer to send their name and e-mail address to. I would prefer to have a form on my site.
    To answer your questions:
    My server is Go Daddy...
    I was trying to use html and CGI script...
    It sounds like both were a mistake!
    I don`t understand php and the code. 
    If you could give me detailed information on how to create a simple form: I just need an input field for "Name" and a field for "e-mail"...along with a "submit" button... and it would be great also to have a "thank you" page pop-up after "submit" button is pressed. (I use Dreamweaver.)
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Eileen
  • RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    http://www.shnoozles.com/ContestPage.htm
    I changed this page back to a request for information via e-mail.  I got so confused and just couldn`t figure it out.  I couldn`t leave the page out there until I fixed it.  All I want is a contest each month, in which I would need to collect my customers` full name and valid e-mail address.  I was hoping to do this through a simple form that had "name" and  "e-mail" input fields and a submit button. I work in Flash, Dreamweaver and Illustrator. If you still think you can help in any way, please let me know.Is there any chance you can put the page up again using a different filename and post the URL on SUN? The error message you gave in your original post sounds like one from the browser, not the server.   Rich
  • Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    I was trying to use html and CGI script...
    It sounds like both were a mistake!
    I don`t understand php and the code. 
    If you could give me detailed information on how to create a simple form: I just need an input field for "Name" and a field for "e-mail"...along with a "submit" button... and it would be great also to have a "thank you" page pop-up after "submit" button is pressed. (I use Dreamweaver.)
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    EileenI use http://www.hyperstreet.com/ to create my web site with form and shopping cart (in progress) see www.t-rexelectronics.com in just a few hours.  No need to learn HTML or PHP or Javascript to do what I need.