WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Same names, different states

EDSEDS subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2006 in Business Planning
OK. I think I`ve seen this topic somewhere else in this forum, but don`t believe it was ever answered to my personal satisfaction:I have a business I`m looking to incorporate as an LLC. We`ve been in unofficial, part-time operations the last 3 years, but now I am looking to turn it in into a full-time venture. I did a business name search on the US government`s Trademark website and came up with a company in California that has the same name as what I want to incorporate, and they offer similar services. I am located in Indiana. The name is Two Headed Monster. Can I still go ahead and incorporate as an LLC with the name I want to use since we are in different states, or would I be taking a chance at a lawsuit in the future?I`d really like to not have to change my business name if at all possible, just because we`ve started to gain some name recognition at the local/regional level (even though we`ve been "unofficial" up to this point, and at the time of inception we had no idea what we were doing). I`d hate to have to start over.And if I do trademark the name and incorporate as an LLC, do I still need to fill out local DBA forms in my city?I know it is preferred to have a lawyer handle all of these issues, but I`d like to do/know as much as I can on my own before I approach a lawyer.
EDS2006-9-8 15:25:22

Comments

• Options
    OnlineSidingJamesOnlineSidingJames subscriber Posts: 2
    I would change your name just to be on the safe side. Especially if they offer similar services.

As you said, you don`t want to start over!
  • Options
    EDSEDS subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks James. I`m worried I may have to do that. Talking to a lawyer will help me get a better feel for my options. There may be a way around, since we are planning to function as more of a record label and an illustration/design house. The other company is more web design/technology/marketing based, but it`s still a similar industry. I`d appreciate any more input or knowledge that any of you other SuNers may have regarding this issue.Thanks!