WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Are there any Freight Broker Agents here?

thompson4thompson4 subscriber Posts: 1

I recently started my own business as a freight agent and have found that there is no one to turn to for questions. It is hard to get any shippers to sign a contract with me to move their freight. I would love to talk to another agent to see how they were able to get over this hurdle and get their business moving. Any advice would be welcomed!
Thanks,
Chantelthompson42007-7-5 10:50:3

Comments

• thompson4thompson4 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for you advice Tracy. Any and all is appreciated.
    Chantel
    Hey Freight Guy,
    Toss some of your good luck towards my way I could really use it.
    Chantel
    I have just begun this venture and I know that I have a lot to  learn. I am moving along slowly as I learn as much as I can, however; I have learned that most people in this industry are not willing to openly give advice on how to get started on actually moving freight. I have found that shippers are hesitant and there lies the difficult process to have access to ANY freight. I am so determined to make this work for me I just have no where to turn for direction when I hit those many road bumps.
    I am in SC, I don`t have a website yet. Any advice would be great . I have read several of your posts and I can tell you sleep, eat and breathe it. You can PM if you`d like.
     "I am wondering why you chose this business without any knowledge of it?"
    Thank you for your advice. I normally find that it is arrogance of one to question why a person starts something with no knowledge. I did not say that I have no knowledge of it, I am venturing out of one part of trucking into another part which is new to me.
    This is a site where we uplift each other not tear each other down. Helping others does not mean questioning when one is asking for help.  Did you not have to start somewhere? Did you not ask questions along the way?
     thompson42007-7-13 17:41:27
  • sfielding007sfielding007 subscriber Posts: 0
    sfielding0072007-7-23 11:28:19
  • scottsettscottsett subscriber Posts: 0
    I didn`t see it as arrogant. Those are probing questions to get to the meat of the matter. I agree with being asked tough questions to initiate momentum in the right direction. Take it as constructive. By the way, does anyone know of good books about this business?
  • JasonOrentJasonOrent subscriber Posts: 0
    I didn`t see that as arrogant either. But sometimes I guess it can be hard to judge tone off of a post like this. I do know that in this business you have to have a thick skin, I`ve been ripped for all kinds of things that have been my fault and for things out of my control. I started in this business almost 20 years ago and when I started brokering I was pretty much self taught and it can be a rough business to make work if you have little experience in many different aspects. You have to know the business, be a salesman, a dispatcher, problem solver and trouble shooter, and you have to be a close freind to a lot of different people you may never meet face to face. 
    I do training and I sell sales leads and I am happy to answer some questions and pass knowledge along to those who are interested. Check out my profile info if you`d like to talk more. 
  • lmckaylmckay subscriber Posts: 1
    I`m not a freight person but I can tell you as a store owner it`s darn difficult to find people to freight antiques and furniture. I personally would love not to have to deal with a moving company.

Just a thought to you freight people
  • lmckaylmckay subscriber Posts: 1
    and Chantal for the record.. it`s a valid question - I didn`t think he was being arrogant either. He was trying to get at where you were coming from and how much you know. Your original question made it sound like you are completely brand new to the entire business.
    He was basically asking where your passion for this came from... JMHO

I know in my business my passion came from collecting - I went from a engineering career I hated to selling dishes...
  • TALTOATALTOA subscriber Posts: 0
    I know I`m late entering this conversation, however for future reference there is a free 7-Part series on becoming a freight broker at freightbrokertraining101.com
  • TALTOATALTOA subscriber Posts: 0
    Lori...

One company you might try for transporting your antiques is TLI located in Russellville, Ar. They are a trucking company but the lady who owns it is big on antiques and transports them all the time on her trucks.

Don`t know the phone, but can find on internet... The TLI stands for Transo Leasing Inc. or something like that. I know the Transco is right....

Hope this helps.
  • OverloadOverload subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Guys,
    I was looking for information on writting a Freight Broker Agent business plan and happened to stumble upon your conversation.  Although I`m not an agent yet I have taken (Broker Office Training by: David Dwinell) the home study DVD course along with two days hands on and are still left wondering just what to put down on paper.  I have been reading a lot of good stuff from different sites and even downloaded some free formats, but none seem to fit what I am looking for. 

The brokerage I`m looking at going to work for asks for one in their application and I`m not really shure what they`re looking for.  That`s besides the fact, I need one to ensure my success and keep me focused anyway.  I don`t want to buy sonething that is being advertised and it be just as confusing as what I allready seen.  On that note I really don`t want to buy anything at all, that is if I could work something up myself.  If anyone has any suggestions on this topic or other brokerages that are agent frendly feel free to speak your mind. 

• sdlivinsdlivin subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi FG....

First off, congratulations on opening up your own shop, this must be a very exciting time for you.  I have to say i`ve enjoyed reading your "blabbering" (lol),  they are well written, and packed with valuable insight. 

I have been researching and doing my D.D. on logistics and becoming a freight agent for the past couple of weeks and as such i appreciate folks like you who unselfishly offer others insight in a area which obviously you know very well...

I have found through my research this part of the industry to be very competitive, exciting, and stressful, but also can be a very rewarding career to those who succeed at it, sounds like sales to me,lol.  I am looking  forward to what i may stubble upon next and enjoying perhaps a new career in the not so distant future.

thanks again freight guy...

sdlivin
    west coast 
  • TbugTbug subscriber Posts: 0
    I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO SETUP MY OWN FREIGHT BILLING SERVICES BUSINESS, BUT HOW DO I START SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND IS IT DUEABLE.  IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    Tbug1/17/2009 10:45 PM
  • freightfinderfreightfinder subscriber Posts: 3
    Tbug,

It is hard to get in to the freight business alltogether. What it sounds like you want to do is either Factor or or perform back office for truckers/brokers. Starting a factoring company would be a multi million dollar investment. Now, I have started multiple "niche" opportunities in the Freight Industry. A dispatching service offering to dispatch and bill for owner operators that worked out well, and a freight broker training business that is still doing well.

I suggest talking more in depth with someone in the industry to see what opportunities are out there and what they involve.

As for the questions about becoming a broker, it is VERY tough. That is why I switched my focus from brokering to training, recruiting, and web developing for the industry. I would be glad to hand out my 1.5 cents if you need it. Hope I can help.

http://salesindustry.net

http://freightbrokerjob.com

These are a couple of my newer website. They might be able to help a little.