WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Critique: www.primetimepolitics.com

PrimetimePoliticsPrimetimePolitics subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Website Critique
Hi Everyone,
Here`s the site:  www.primetimepolitics.com
I`m submitting my site to see if I can get some honest feedback from fellow entrepreneurs.
I launched the site two months ago and now it`s time to start marketing it out so if anyone has any advice on getting traffic to the site please feel free to make suggestions.
Thank you!
JordanPrimetimePolitics1/29/2008 2:27 PM

Comments

• PrimetimePoliticsPrimetimePolitics subscriber Posts: 1
    Eric,
    Thanks for the kind words on the site.  I really like the idea of holding some type of debate on the day`s big issue.  It could go a long way in bringing some energy to the site and having people participate in discussion around the debate.  There are some good services out there like bloggingheads.tv that could even allow me to do it by video.  Hmmmmm, great stuff, got me thinking!
    Cheers,
    Jordan
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Jordan, you have a great looking site. However, I think you run the risk of alienating people with your very prominent John McCain banner.Unless of course, you`re only looking to attract John McCain fans.I also think you need to develop a strong USP (Unique Selling Proposition). You need to differentiate yourself and give people a legitimate reason to visit your site, especially when there are so many other similar sites around.

One last thing, I think you should inject more of your personality into your site. Political oriented sites like yours are often personality driven. Put your personality front and center for your visitors to see. Right now, your site comes across as being very sterile.

As far as promoting your site, there are a number of options, depending on your budget of course. Press release, newsletter, ezines, pay-per-click and my favorite of all, article marketing.

Dale King
    DKing1/29/2008 3:32 PM
    Dale,
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I`ve been planning on injecting some more personality into the site but have been so busy taking care of all the other business and technical aspects that I haven`t had enough time.  I need to set aside some time every day to blog, comment, etc. so there`s more of my voice involved.
    I`m not too concerned with the McCain thing, it`s google adsense doing it`s thing so I can`t spend too much time worried about it, especially since it`s a good looking advertisement and brings some credibility to the site.
    Lastly, as far as USP, I have one in that the community can post articles they find from around the web the same way I do (Spotlights, under the Community tab) but it`s a bit of a chicken before the egg situation since the community isn`t alive and vibrant yet.  Maybe I`ll hire some interns to get things moving.
    Thank you!
    Jordan
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
      it`s a good looking advertisement and brings some credibility to the site.
    Thank you!
    Jordan

I disagree that Adsense adds credibility to any website. Quite the contrary. Be that as it may, you`re quite welcome.

Dale King
    Under the circumstances, I do.  Since I just launched and don`t have traffic to attract an advertising network to represent me and since I`m not ready to sell ads myself, adsense is better than nothing.  I could have gone with no ads to start off but would have had to introduce them later on as a result which would have been more disruptive than I`d like.  Having great looking ads, even if they`re adsense (which no layperson can tell), gives it a professional, commercial feel.
    Hopefully soon I`ll be hosting higher level advertisements but for the moment, I went with adsense and used their "Competitive Ad Filter" actively.
    Cheers.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Having great looking ads, even if they`re adsense (which no layperson can tell), gives it a professional, commercial feel.

Uh, "ads by Google" wouldn`t be a clue?
    I like the site overall, but the Google ad at the top of the page has to go.  Imagine the reaction while watching a YouTube response from a candidate and the Google ad is for paint ball guns?
    I am not sure what your USP is, except maybe that your news aggregation is somehow unbiased?  Why do I care - I am biased and don`t care about the "other side".  How is your site any different from any of dozens of newspaper websites?
    Steve,
    I appreciate the input.  I believe you`re suffering from the Curse of Wisdom in this situation.  From the many people I`ve spoken to, they have no idea that "Ads by Google" means that the ads are automated and contextual, they have no idea how that sort of thing works.
    Trust me, I don`t want ads for paintball guns on the site, but it`s what I have to deal with until I get enough traffic to be able to have an ad network sell on my behalf.  If I`m wrong in that assumption and you know of something else, please let me know!
    As for unbiased, well the site definitely has a flavor, check it out from time to time and you`ll know quickly whether it`s your style or not.  As for USP, there is a lot of value in having a service hand pick great content from various sources.  Additionally, having a community to discuss the issues with is very valuable and will continue to grow as we add social features to the site.
    Thanks again.PrimetimePolitics1/29/2008 5:18 PM
    Craig,
    Thanks for getting back to me.  Your comment on the McCain ad is the second so I`ll take note of the effect it has as a first impression.
    I`ll take some comfort in the fact that you mentioned RCP because the association is apt.  What I`m bringing to the table is my own flavor in article choice and the big difference, a community aspect that RCP is completely devoid of.  I`m a big fan of theirs as well.
    Visit the site whenever you get a chance, I think you`ll like it.  Thanks for the feedback.