WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Heritage Web solutions

2»

Comments

• infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Hi Panda,
    If Wallmart sells a little under market average, people like you simply dump and like someone said above, simply destroy the market.
  • infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    BTW, Panda, why do you sell so cheap? Because it takes you like couple hours to whop up a web site? Or because that`s how low you value your work? Or because it`s easier to sell? Why would anyone sell anything that costs at least $1.5k for $250???
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    That`s what I was wondering too... My theory is: If I you sell at $250.00 and your office lease is for $1,000.00 that means you have to whip out 4 web sites a month to make ends meet. If you have Employee`s you`re looking into at least 8 to 16 customers per month just to meet Payroll and other expenses such as: Light, Phone, water, and so forth... I don`t think that at $250.00 you can put alot of effort into a web site, since you would be in a rush trying to make money.
    On the other hand, if you charge 1.5K to 7K like myself, Even if my lease is $1K, I still have a $500.00 profit. If I sell at 7K, well I`m pretty sure it doesn`t take a genious to figure that out... and at the same time, I can put more effort into a project, because I don`t have to worry about pay roll and utilities... and I can still profit 1K to 2K if I sell at the higher end... This is just the way I do business.... Less projects at a higher price, less stress to make ends meet... 
  • jumbopandajumbopanda subscriber Posts: 0
    That`s fine with me.  I have no opinions about the way you do business. I hope you have a lot of success.  And no, I don`t have an office lease for $1000.  My overhead is much lower.  There are two components to  profit, revenue and expenses.  You might need to sell less Ferraris to make your money, but Toyota and Honda also sell day in, day out.  Are they flooding the market? Or just different strokes for different folks?
    Jumbo,
    Ferrari`s and Toyota`s are targeted at two different markets, so your comparison doesn`t make sense at all. I`m pretty sure if Ferrari was to drop their prices between 18K and 25K, they would sell day in and day out as you stated. But! would Ferrari be as prestigious? their target market would be consumers that make between 20K a year and 25K a year. Just like Toyota don`t you think?
    Now, what if I dropped my prices to $249.99? Can I really offer a valuable product considering the hours that go into the design stage of a web site. From the time you sketch something out to the time you finalize the layout with the customer it can takes days. You do present a mock up to your customers right? You know that, it takes about 3 to 5 days for the customer to get back to you with changes. What if there`s design changes, Layout Changes, or even development changes? I`m assuming you`re building static web sites correct?
    Hey Edgar,

Most of the planning is done before building starts.  Pages are all dynamic, so changes are quick.  Most of the pages are informational anyway. I work with templates, which are picked before we build.  That gets 95% of the would-be changes out of the way.  Changes are usually quick and easy.  Even if it takes a few days to get back to me, I`m working on other things, so I don`t mind the wait.

I do custom work also, but not with the $250 special.  I`ve also made sites that cost thousands of dollars.  Don`t worry, not everything goes for $250.
    Thats what I thought Jumbo...
    Your typical cookie cutter web designer... So let me ask you... How many of you customers have the same template? Or lets say how many people on the Internet share the same template?
    Honestly, Jumbo, for $250.00 I wouldn`t even take on a web site...Unless it a 1 DAY JOB... So if there is planning to do, the customer better do the planning ahead of time. the requirements are: look for his images, and supply your own ontent... and send it to me in a word doc... and I wouldn`t even do custom modification to a pre-fabricated template.... It would be a "BUY AS IS"
    Don`t worry Jumbo you can still charge $500.00 and be profitable... being profitable doesn`t mean to saturate the market
    I don`t think this forum was made so that you can dump on me.  This has gone way off topic.  If you would like to continue to insult my work, please do the people of startup nation a favor and do it through private message, not in a public forum. 

I don`t think this forum was made so that you can dump on me.  This has gone way off topic.  If you would like to continue to insult my work, please do the people of startup nation a favor and do it through private message, not in a public forum. 

First of all Jumbo, you just told us that you use templates.... Using templates is not your own work. Secondly, I`m not dumping on you, I`m simply trying to give you advise.
    Web Design is not a commodity, its a need and if a customer doesn`t have the money to have a web site built professionally at reasonable cost, they shouldn`t be in business, they should be out looking for work. But suit yourself...
    Thank you for you input.  Good luck to you.