WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Microsoft Office Live Product Listing

tjbeaulieutjbeaulieu subscriber Posts: 9
edited October 2008 in Grab Bag
Hello,

I`m always so grateful for everyone`s prompt and helpful responses to my questions.   Has anyone every used Microsoft Office Live`s Store Manager?  I`m trying to add my products to my product list but there is no room to put options to my products like size and color.  I`ve called their support line and they`ve informed me that at this time they`re not set up for that.  That surprises me as if someone has a product available in a thousand colors and sizes, then they would have to list each and every variation of that product as an individual product.  That seems to me to be very confusing for a customer.  Has anyone found any way around this or manner of giving the customer a way to choose a product and select variations such as size and color?  Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Theresa JB

Comments

• Options
    NomadAdvertisingLLCNomadAdvertisingLLC subscriber Posts: 3
    I hate to say this, but I don`t think that MS Office Live is the product you want.  (stating the obvious)  I use MS office live to host my site and Im sorry that I chose them and am considering switching.
    My suggestion to you is move your site to GoDaddy.com and use OSCommerce.  First, GoDaddy.com is a pretty good (pretty cheap) website hosting company.  They allow php and other technical things that MS Office Live does not support.  This way, you can add blogs and forums etc. 
    Also by using a hosting company that allows php you can use OSCommerce which is a free opensource e-commerce store.  I have never used it and it is slightly outside of my area of knowledge, but I have done research about it based on a direction I was considering to move my site.  In other words, forgive me for inaccuracies. 
    Anyway, by switching hosting companies and using this e-commerce software you should be able to do exactly (and more than) what you want all at a reasonable price.  I hope this helps and makes sense.  If not, let me know and I would be happy to follow up.
  • Options
    LouiseRLouiseR subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi there Theresa. I work at Microsoft on the Office Live Small Business service. Saw your post here and wanted to let you know that we`ve recently added a feature that does just what you`re asking for. In fact we will have a blog post going up about this later today, but in the meantime here`s how you can use the product variations feature:

Go to the

Product Details tab

for a product that you want to add variations to. You’ll notice that the Product Details tab now includes a Product variations option. Just choose Yes, and add variations to your product.

If you want to add another level of variation, for example, different colors of size medium, just create a separate variation for each combination, e.g.: MediumRed, MediumBlue.

Save product details, and when you view the product details page for this product in your online store, you’ll see that customers can easily select the option they want from a drop-down list when they order the product.

When the order arrives in your

Order List

, the customer’s selected variation displays on the

Order Details page

, so you know what to send to the customer.   I hope this helps, Theresa. If you have any other questions please feel free to ping me at lrasho@microsoft.com. Best to you both,Louise 

LouiseR8/20/2008 4:55 PM
  • Options
    gunnargunnar subscriber Posts: 0
    Although this feature was announced on the office live blog today, I noticed that it was added to store manager a couple weeks ago. I got a chance to play around with it a bit.. it works great.

http://myofficelivecommunity.com/discus ... tions.aspx

gunnar8/20/2008 4:26 PM
  • Options
    NomadAdvertisingLLCNomadAdvertisingLLC subscriber Posts: 3
    Louise, 
    Thank you for your post as it was helpful and thank you for extending your service and abilities to ensure your customers satisfaction.  It says a lot of good about you and the staff MS hires.  Thanks.
  • Options
    JasonGJasonG subscriber Posts: 8
    Louise,

Maybe you can persuade them into adding a login form to the modules and the ability to add protected pages.

We might want certain parts of the site to only be accessible by employees or clients. (Calendars, schedules, etc.)  Something like that with access control (adding and deleting users and giving them access to certain pages).  Maybe I`m asking too much?  This would be a great selling point! (IMO)

Respectfully
    JasonG10/7/2008 5:52 AM