WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Theft in my Store!!!

MARTINEZMARTINEZ subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2009 in Business Planning

Hi everyone, I run a departmental store downtown. I have a staff of about 20-25 people, the workforce is not large. But, I have a big store and from a few days I have got the feeling that there are thefts in my shop. I have got the accounts cleared up and the items checked and there is a clear proof of some theft. I am here to get some real good ideas on how could I prevent all of this without having an adverse effect on my shop environment?

Please do help me.

Comments

• DomesticGoddessMiyokoDomesticGoddessMiyoko subscriber Posts: 0
    Something as small as a video camera is a great way to deter thieves from preying on your business.
  • MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    Video cameras are a great idea. Also do you have the security devices by the doors that sound when security tags weren`t disabled?
    Locking up certain merchandise or even installing those security wires that wrap around more expensive merchandise is common practice now. Also, keeping certain items behind checkout is a great theft prevention measure.
    A less obvious tactic I have seen used, but still very effective is placing "logo labels" on merchandise. Logo labels are exactly what their name implies: labels that have the company logo on them. The concept behind this measure is that if a thief steals merchandise from your store that has a logo label and tries to either return it elsewhere or sell it to another store for cash, it is obvious it has been stolen. The logo labels are made in such a way where even if they are peeled off, they leave a residue that makes it obvious that the product has been tampered with.
  • EDWARD1EDWARD1 subscriber Posts: 0

Hello, this
    is one of the most common things today. There are a lot of instances of such
    kind so there are ways to stop such thefts. You should consider having security
    measures such as security cameras, theft insurance and other things. For more
    information on this issue, you can check out business
    theft
    .EDWARD12/4/2009 1:49 AM
  • EDWARD1EDWARD1 subscriber Posts: 0

EDWARD12/4/2009 1:52 AM
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all,
    Just my thoughts on the issue.  I support video surveillance.  It provides proof you can take to court.  But, let a professional company do the install.  You can buy the equipment yourself and install it.  But, most people don`t have the expertises to put a good system together.  I also recommend going with digital.  It`s more expensive, but much easier to use and retrieve archive records.  Make sure you put a camera watching your outside trash dumpster as well.  It`s common for thieves to put stolen merchandise in with the trash and carry the items out to the dumpster.  The thief then returns after hours and takes the item from the trash.  Most police officer also will not investigate this type of activity because they assume things in dumpsters are TRASH.
    Have the system installed after hours as well.  You don`t want your employees learning the capabilities of your system by having it installed while your employees are there.
    Also require any employee leaving with merchandise to have a receipt for the items.  I took over loss prevention at one store where this policy was not in place.  The store owner could never prove the items he found in employee tote bags were stolen, because the employees always claimed they bought the items just before the end of their shift.  I had the owner implement the policy ( in writing ) with the understanding items did not leave the store without a receipt.
    You can also install inexpensive door alarms on all exit doors.  The alarms can be deactivated by a key.  You see such alarms on fire exit doors at Denny`s restaurants for example.  The doors are not normally used during the day.  So, when the alarm goes off, the manager knows someone is sneaking out the side door.
    Also, limit entry and access routes for employees.  Have only one door for instance that an employee can normally enter and leave the store through.  If they use another door, write them up. nevadascul2/6/2009 7:01 PM
  • ITDreamsITDreams subscriber Posts: 0
    Video cameras are the way to go, they are going to be one of the biggest deterents you can have to prevent theft. The door sensors are okay but last time I check one out and tested it they had about a 20% failure rate of actually going off. Not sure if the technology improved on this but that was the results I had received from my tests.

We had a client, a UPS Store who was experiencing this same issue. They thought it was an employee but turned out it was an ex employee.

We installed an IP Camera for them and long story short and ex employee had a key made and gave it to another ex employee who was coming in on a nightly basis and robbing cash from the register. It was not a lot of cash maybe about 25-50 dollars a night. Retail always has some small amount of cash for opening day. Unfortunately this store did not to think to lock the cash draws in the safe but than that also would create issues since the owners were not there ever day for opening.

To sum it up 1 week after the install the thief was so used to getting away with it that he never even noticed the camer install and he was arrested within a few days after his next little adventure and was ordered to pay back all the money which he did.

Nothing can ever replace a camera, because it is the proof you need and its solid. Make sure your installer understands your needs of placement and what you want to cover. It is like insurance it is an expense up front but when it comes time to collect on the policy it is there for you.

Visit the all new IT Dreams online storewww.it-dreamz.net

Sincerely,

Shawn Jaryno

IT Dreams, Inc.
    Making Information Technology Dreams, Reality!
    Phone: 201-232-6415
    Fax: 732-566-0473
    E-Mail: www.it-dreamz.com
  • MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
    Staples uses a third party company that allows employees to "rat out" wrong-doers anonymously (anonymous to Staples itself, I mean), and filters information to the necessary parties, and at the end, if a perpetrator is caught, this third party company gives the "rat" a reward provided by Staples. Of course, all the buildings are crammed with cameras, alarms and all the security amenities, but that`s to be expected. I can`t say I`ve ever heard of the program ever bearing fruit. I`m sure it has, because Staples is very quick to ditch anything that isn`t pulling its weight. Maybe you could setup a similar system, where you reward employees who come forward with information. If your staff contains a thief, I`d wager someone knows who it is. All you`d need to do is figure out how much you can afford to pay, to bring out the rats. They`re just coworkers, it shouldn`t take too much, if anonymity is preserved. Then you`ll know who to keep an eye on to catch in the act.
    MattTurpin2/28/2009 3:18 AM
  • SecurityProfessionalSecurityProfessional subscriber Posts: 2
    I see that you are located in Albania. Despite the well-intentioned advice that you may get in this forum, I would strongly suggest that you seek out the services of a qualified security professional in your country. The types of issues, problems, and legalities of solving security problems can vary greatly from country to country.

As a security consultant with over thirty-five years of experience, I don`t think that installing video cameras alone will solve your problem. While cameras can be useful tools, they are only a small part of a total loss prevention program, and probably one of the most over-prescribed "security solutions" on the market. The novice`s first inclination is always to put up cameras, but installing cameras is rarely the first thing you should do and never the only thing that you should do.

You first need to quantify the problem, and then put together a comprehensive program that includes good internal controls, effective security policies and procedures, and security awareness training for all staff. Once these basics are in place, then it may be appropriate to consider the use of technology such as cameras or electronic article surveillance systems. Whatever security measures you put into place need to be commensurate with the security risks and potential losses that you are facing. 

Again, I think you would be best served if you found a local security expert in your country to help you with this. A little money spent now on professional security advice will probably save you considerable money in the long run.

SecurityProfessional2/28/2009 4:17 AM