WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Domain Name

onlineeateronlineeater subscriber Posts: 16
edited November 2006 in Marketing
I am looking to create a website. All the domain names I have tried to check into are taken. Most are not being used but being held hostage by someone looking to make a buck. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about selecting a domain name???thanks,Johnonlineeater2006-11-1 23:17:37

Comments

• Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Name selection is tricky. I would avoid using a generic name or category name. People remember coined names far better than generics. A good example of this is dippychick.com. The lady who runs dippychick is a frequent contributor to StartUpNation. It`s such an excellent name. At any rate, her business sells food with an emphasis on helping people avoid specific allergies. I haven`t forgotten her brand name ... it`s almost unforgettable. That`s a good name.
  • Options
    GeorgeAGeorgeA subscriber Posts: 3
    Generally, your domain name should be related to (if not the same as)
    your brand name. Your brand name may be different than your company
    name.

So, I would generally go for creating a branding first and then get the
    domain name. Ofcourse, you might want to create a brand name that is
    available as a domain name... Tricky, huh?
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Do not add a number to your domain name. Combinations of letters and numbers are much more difficult to remember. Use all letters.
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    although I have a number in my username, according to my readings about domain name choice, CookieMonster has a great point.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great replies. I agree and google even became a verb. 
  • Options
    As we know the .COM is almost full, you go and try to get your domain and is almost imposible, you will have to create a name that no-one has and that`s really imposible.
    But not to get sad about it, i heard about this company call Global Domains Internation World Wide Registry for .WS Domain Names. It`s been pretty strong for the past 7 years, dedt free,listed on Inc 500 #37 Fastest Growing in the USA Today.
    And this people is guiving away a Free Package to try for 7 days.
    Were you get your Own Domain Name www.yourname.ws
    10 custom email accounts
    Personal WebSite with WebSite Builder.
    Web Hosting with ftp uploadingHTML Frontpage compatible.
    24/7 Support.
    You will be able to use your own aplication. and what`s better is that you don`t have to pay for those 7 days, if you decide you want to stay it will be $10.00 per month. after free trial.
    You will get all of those benefits and more.
    For More Information Visit: Global Domains International
    Yudelka Santiago.
    GDI Distributor.

thank you but a WS domain does not look professional enough for the type of business I am looking to build. they may work for MLM croud or stay at home moms but not in the corporate or mass marketing types.
  • Options
    smartiesmartie subscriber Posts: 1
    Don`t bother with a dotws, dotnet, etc. Unless you own the dotcom already. The following is some great advice I learned from a big internet marketer.
    First: you want to have a dotcom domain name. And even though most good ones are already taken, there are still many to have. Brainstorm names that relate to what you want to promote. But don`t make the mistake of choosing a niche name that won`t fit, if you will change the product later down the track. What I mean by that is if you promote cats right now and you want to choose catsdotcom thats fine, but if you change to dogs later on (because cats don`t do it for you) then romoting dogs with the catsdotcom name won`t do you any good.  So a good rule is to keep it generic to the industry you are in!
    Another great domain name is always YOUR OWN NAME. If you build YOUR Inc. then people will get to know you and recommend your name which will be easy to find in search engines.
    Hope that helps
    Monika