WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Setting-Up a Facebook Business Page: What to Know

CoveredBridgeCellarsCoveredBridgeCellars subscriber Posts: 4
edited November 2009 in Marketing
Facebook now allows users to create dedicated "pages" for businesses, products, brands, etc. I setup our page this weekend and thought I would share some insights for those thinking about doing this.
1. You will need a personal Facebook account to setup a business page. The reason is that business pages are managed and created from within your personal account as well as accessed via your personal login. So if you try to setup a business page first--which you can--you will actually be going through both setups at the same time. I was unaware of this and was a little confused that it kept asking for my personal information. My advice would be to setup your personal page first then add your business page afterwords.
2. Once I realized I had created both personal and business profiles I tried searching for my newly created busisness page. It would not come up in my search results. To fix this you need to become a "fan" of your business page. Apparently without any fans your page can`t be seen when you search.
3. Setting up the biz page is easy with relevant fields for your company description, mission, products, founded date, etc.
4. Groups vs Pages: Pages are new, but many companies have already setup groups for their product or business. I had found a few that had both a group and a newly created business page, which to me seems redundant. The key benefit of pages is the ability to access the new Facebook ad platform, which is pretty cool and described below:
5. Focused Ads: I only played around with this for a few minutes but it seems like a pretty cool way to focus your ad dollars. From your business page you can create a capaign which allows you to pinpoint demographic info, location, keywords, etc for your campaign. When you fill this information in Facebook calculates the potential number of users that fit your target profile. For example, Single, male, age 25-35, graduated from x college, lives in x state, has keyword interest like wine, wine drinking, red wine, etc, might show 5,000 users. Change a variable, and the user number is automatically recalcuated. Your ad will only go to this group of users.
Next step is to set your daily budget and how much your willing to pay per click through. High bids gives you better exposure. I might try a small experiment in the future to see how this works. I have read some folks getting good results at $.20 - $.50 per click. Overall, a pretty cool system.
5. I was very surprised how many other business in my industry--mostly Wine 2.0 folks and other bloggers--were setup on Facebook. I made several connections in just a few days. Not to mention, all my other freinds, associates, etc, that have pages and who will become part of our viral network. 
I wold love to hear others thoughts about how they are using Facebook.

Comments

• HealthyStepHealthyStep subscriber Posts: 0
    Okay, thanks for the tip. What I would really like to do is have my business name as the facebook page name. I know it is possible because people are doing it. (An example: search for "boutique" or "store" on friends finder) All these businesses have their names on the facebook page and can add friends and then when they put an update on their wall, all their "friends" who are really their customers, they get an email update just like a regular facebook. Does anyone know how this is done? I`ve tried and tried and can`t seem to get it!
  • thedraperyladythedraperylady subscriber Posts: 0
    I made a seperate page just to keep my personal stuff seperate. I think the trick is no have two names, just like a person would put a first and last name. My company name is The Drapery Lady but my face book is Drapery Lady. within that profile I set up a group and became a member and have followers. also on my personal page I made a page and have fans on there. Those are mostly friends and family. So far so good.

Elisa

www.thedraperylady.net

follow me on www.twitter.com
    and www.blogspot.com
  • rgeigerrgeiger subscriber Posts: 0
    How do I start the business account? I created an account through the business account setup and of course they asked for personal information. So now from there how do I create my business page?
  • JoePaJoePa subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey guys,
    Great site!
    Can you help me with this scenario?  I created a Facebook page for a client before they had "business" accounts.  Therefore it is set up like a personal account.
    1) Did I transgress any Facebook rules?
    2) Is there really any difference in the types of accounts?
    3) Can I somehow switch this to a business account?
    4) Will I lose all of the info on the current account?
    Thanks in advance for any insight.JoePa6/11/2009 12:22 PM
  • profitizerprofitizer subscriber Posts: 16 Bronze Level Member
    Hello Shawn.
    Have you seen this Facebook Help page?
    HTH
  • LenaSJLenaSJ subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey guys!
    Does anyone know how add Picasa Tab on Facebook business page?
    I will be appreciate for any help!
  • meganamegana subscriber Posts: 0
    i thought that having multiple accounts in facebook was not allowed?
    megana7/20/2009 1:50 PM
  • foodietwoshoesfoodietwoshoes subscriber Posts: 3
    I may have overlooked this in the FAQ, but is it possible to start more than one business page? I partner in two businesses, and I'd like to start a page for each of them. Can I do them both from my one account, and also will people know they are both mine? I'd like it to not be real obvious, as one has nothing to do with the other and it would just look out of place.

• Kids_ActivitiesKids_Activities subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks for the article.
    I have a question. How do I setup my business page so that anyone including non-Facebook members view it? My current bussines page is not accessible without login into Facebook, however I have seen other pages which allows public access.
    Thank you.
  • pvenuspvenus subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks for the advice. I tried to do what you told but at the end google find me only if i type my personal name, Sighinas Stefania and shows me also the business.
    BUT
    Unfortunately does not find me as a unique business, when i type the company name Pensiunea Venus . The problem is that i prefer to find me as a company, i dont make a brand out of my name. So what should i do? delete the personal name and put there my company one?
  • fidstevefidsteve subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks for this post. I've been trying to decide whether I should build a FB Page or a FB Group for Project Swole. Think I'm going to finally decide on making a Page for now.
  • Johan21Johan21 subscriber Posts: 0
    There is no denying the significance of facebook in today's world of internet marketing. Facebook marketing is not a costly affair as compared to some other forms of traditional marketing. But that same time you have to be active with your marketing on facebook and regular updates with emphasis on promoting your products or services in the right areas. You need to have more fans for your ad that will help you spread the word around.
    Buy facebook likes
  • steerssteers subscriber Posts: 0
    Also everyone likes to click "Likes" if they saw something that catch their interest. It's much easier for them to like than joining groups.
  • steerssteers subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree to that as well. Knowing your niche and target audience will give you more benefits. Having the quality will maintain it for longer terms.
  • alymalym subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello,
    Thank you very much for this post. I helped a lot in setting our business' facebook profile.
    Now I wonder, how can i get people to "like" our page?

myla

Ken Mark Turf